Why become a member? ×

DHA - New rackmount pre-amp

DHA

I gues the only way that it could be cost effective is if the 'input & input modules' were both on the same board and then just chain up multiples of them?

not telling you what to do! sorry! ;o)

[quote name='DHA' post='16267' date='Jun 12 2007, 02:50 PM']A 3 or 4 way input switch is much simpler and hence much cheaper.[/quote]

Now that would be a good idea if the gain levels remained consistent when you swapped basses and didn't need separate settings to suit each bass.

[quote name='DHA' post='15632' date='Jun 11 2007, 03:06 PM']Hi,

I think people are using my rack designs as both pre-amps for driving power amps and as overdrives to drive amps. Not sure that I need change much anyway as my overdrives are really just pre-amps.

Or am I missing something?

Dave[/quote]

Hi Dave, guilty as charged on both counts :) I used to use your first Dual Rack Mount (Serial No. 001 !) as an overdrive in front of my amp but a few months ago I switched to the stereo outputs on my Rickenbacker and I'm using it now as the pre-amp for the neck pickup. It sounds bloody fantastic with a pair of Jan Philips ECC82's and the Silicon diodes switched in.

The only minor niggle is the overall output level, although I accept that the ECC82's have less gain than the ECC83's you supply which probably accounts for some of it. That said, when I had the ECC83's in but ran it clean, when the boost circuit was up full to give a strong enough signal to the poweramp it distorted a little (maybe your latest designs are different ?) but it's no problem, even with the ECC82's I use now. I run the boost lower and the output goes to a micro-mixer in the back of my rack to blend with the other pre-amp so I just use the micro-mixer to increase its level.

So that's the only thing I'd suggest - making sure the pre-amp's output level is sufficient to drive a poweramp on it's own. I like the 'modular' idea too, that gets my vote. I'm using an Ampeg SVP-PRO pre-amp for the bridge pickup but might well be tempted to get a second DHA rack pre-amp as the Ampeg's not quite doing it for me. Or I could sell both my DHA and Ampeg and get one of your new one's if each channel had it's own input and output (i.e. stereo, or more accurately dual-mono operation). I'm looking forward to seeing what you come out with.

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Looks like the VT5-Studio-Bass is born.

We are wiring one up now as well as a silkscreened front panel as there is no space for my hand writting!

There will be 5 valves providing the following.

1. 2 separate RED and BLUE channels - each channel is a VT2-Dual-Custom-Bass with i/p pad, Gain1, 1>2, Gain 2, Colour, Boost, Treble, Mid, Bass and o/p level with bright, fat, clip, boost, colour and tone by-pass switches on each channel.

2. Switching via the footswitch or front panel for by-pass (true), Red or Blue channel and 1+2 gain selection. This is a true 4 channel plus by-pass pre-amp.

3. Valve driven FX loop with blend (VT1-Bob the Blender) with pre or post switch and true by-pass footswitch.

4. Tuner out with mute via footswitch.

5. DI out with level.

6. LED VU meters on i/p and o/p.

7. master level control.

8. Headphone amp with level.

9. 2U rack.

10. Single or dual guitar in operation. If one is plugged in then you can switch between red or blue, if 2 then one is on red and the other on blue.

Comments welcome please

Dave

Edited by DHA