Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb NT4 - 1987

molan

Picked this up in a trade deal recently but I really have too many basses so have decided not to hang on to it.

The best thing about this is that it has that 'classic' Warwick 'growl'. Nothing else quite delivers this sound and, in my opinion, the older Warwicks have it in abundance & sound much nicer than most newer ones.

It's been properly cleaned and polished with Warwick wax and looks just lovely now.

It has one of those nice thin '80's Warwick necks with a really low and easy to play action. Frets are in very good shape.

Body wood is bubinga, neck is 7-ply bubinga & wenge and the fingerboard is wenge. The finish is a natural oil/wax.

Nut is a brass ‘just a nut’. Bridge is a 3D4 Schaller, tuners are Schaller too. Pickups are 2 x jazz-type EMGs. Preamp is a 2 band EMG.

It really is in great condition for a 24 year old bass. Feels nicely ‘played in’ but without any really heavy wear marks anywhere.

A delightful, fast playing, Thumb that’s coming up for its quarter century birthday.

Priced at £1,050 plus shipping.

Happy to ship anywhere in the world so long as the major shippers (UPS / Fedex etc) have a service :)

Edited by molan

[quote name='mr.noisy' post='1252437' date='Jun 1 2011, 10:25 AM']Wow, what a beauty!
BUMP![/quote]

There is something a bit 'special' about these older Warwicks - can't quite put my finger on what it is but they just seem to feel 'right' when you pick them up :)

Would it be possible for you to tell me which month in 1987 this was made in? I am trying to find a nice bass that is nearly the same age as i am.

I am guessing the serial numbers worked in the same way back then as they do now.

[quote name='dwh87' post='1253980' date='Jun 2 2011, 01:56 PM']Would it be possible for you to tell me which month in 1987 this was made in? I am trying to find a nice bass that is nearly the same age as i am.

I am guessing the serial numbers worked in the same way back then as they do now.[/quote]

I have to own up that I don't know how Warwick serial number dating works :)

I'm also not entirely sure where the serial number is, lol. I have a vague recollection it might be engraved into the very tip of the headstock?

The bass isn't with me at the moment as it's up on a commission sale with Phil at BassGear.

[quote name='molan' post='1254491' date='Jun 2 2011, 07:56 PM']I have to own up that I don't know how Warwick serial number dating works :)

I'm also not entirely sure where the serial number is, lol. I have a vague recollection it might be engraved into the very tip of the headstock?

The bass isn't with me at the moment as it's up on a commission sale with Phil at BassGear.[/quote]

warwick serial numbers:
the serial number will be on the tip of the headstock.
the last two numbers give you the year, the letter at the start, the month (A = Jan B = Feb etc don't include I)
the numbers inbetween are the issue number for that number bass of that year.

amazing basses - I have 1990 and 1988 thumbs.

[quote name='MikeBass' post='1255600' date='Jun 3 2011, 03:49 PM']warwick serial numbers:
the last two numbers give you the year, the letter at the start, the month (A = Jan B = Feb etc don't include I)

amazing basses - I have 1990 and 1988 thumbs.[/quote]

Great thanks for that - I can therefore confirm it's a February '87 :)

Big question now is whether that's when dwh was born, lol

[quote name='molan' post='1255713' date='Jun 3 2011, 05:18 PM']Great thanks for that - I can therefore confirm it's a February '87 :)

Big question now is whether that's when dwh was born, lol[/quote]

March '87 which is close enough for me.

If i get some good news in the next few days about when i start my new job and this is still around i will be in contact.

[quote name='dwh87' post='1255851' date='Jun 3 2011, 07:33 PM']March '87 which is close enough for me.

If i get some good news in the next few days about when i start my new job and this is still around i will be in contact.[/quote]

Cool - that really is pretty close.

As it's a 'birthday' deal I'll chuck in shipping to the UK at this price as well :)

[quote name='MikeBass' post='1255600' date='Jun 3 2011, 03:49 PM']warwick serial numbers:

amazing basses - I have 1990 and 1988 thumbs.[/quote]

Thanks I didn't know that
Mines is A1707 89 so that would be Jan 89.
Its older than i thought even though i bought it new.

This is the best bass i've ever played or owned and would never sell even though i've had several offers.
This is an amazing price for one of the originals.
Should go quickly.
If i bought this one i would have two thumbs - whow simple things !!!

Great
Cheers
Dave :)

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='molan' post='1255860' date='Jun 3 2011, 07:39 PM']Cool - that really is pretty close.

As it's a 'birthday' deal I'll chuck in shipping to the UK at this price as well :)[/quote]

I like your selling technique. That was nice touch.
Come to think of it i'm sure DWH87 offered to buy mine.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7