Why become a member? ×

Micro Heads on a budget

Sparky

Ok peeps. After a couple of great offers and some serious consideration, I have realised that due to personal circumstances and a crash bang wollop admission of new parental responsibilities, I'm not actually prepared to spend nearly as much on this outing as I'd originally thought...
Figure it's not so much about spending an extra £50 on top of an extra £150 on top of my original £150 budget, but more about spending Hundreds on something I only Want because I like spanky new kit! doesn't everyone? I've not gassed for so long, this first hit has smashed me like a goddam steam train!

So one and all - Thank you for all your advice so far but regrettably, I'll be moving forward with a revised Budget of £200 TOPS. This means no markbass and no Ampeg (unless one comes up 2nd hand within budget, which as Lozz points out is unlikely for a while). This leaves me with the G.K('s), the ashdowns and the harleys. Got to say, of the 3, I'm gravitating towards the G.K's just because of their size and the many endorsements I've read on here and elsewhere on the web. Going to keep an eye on the marketplace here - probably for the 500w version (at the right price), simply due to my understanding that to push 2x 200w cabs with a decent amount of headroom, I [b]may[/b] need More than the 200W the smaller model affords. Please though, correct me if I'm wrong?... Merton??? Because Mr.Noisy's got an [i]almost new[/i] MB200 on here for £185!!!! And if I could manage with that, I MAY even have a smidgen left over to take a look at one of these d.i boxes a few of you have mentioned... Just as a sweetner for turning down dave's markbass!!! :) easy...

so to refine the advice i'm after; Do we think a G.K. MB200 will be powerful enough to push 2No. Hartke 210XL's for toilet circuit (barfly, underworld, borderline, metro club etc. etc.) size gigs where all I can usually hear is cymbals and white noise from the 3 vocals and guitar screaming out the house monitors? What do we think?

Once again - thanks in advance. Sparky.

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1245858' date='May 26 2011, 04:35 PM']So, if someone were to buy an Ashdown Little Giant and hook it up with a nice external pre-amp, the volume issues go away?

Truckstop[/quote]
Saw just that (a LG350 with a Behringer valve preamp) being sold as a set on here recently..

[quote name='Merton' post='1246268' date='May 26 2011, 09:19 PM']Whereabouts in London are you? Do you wanna try the MB200?[/quote]
Yeh could do Merton. Nice offer. Thanks. Actually live in hemel but i work in london... cabs are in hemel though! hmmm. could always make a journey one weekend with my cabs.. or maybe just take the plunge with Mr.Noisy and then if it doesn't work out, sell it on again. Hmmm I'll think about it!!!

[quote name='Sparky' post='1246277' date='May 26 2011, 09:25 PM']Yeh could do Merton. Nice offer. Thanks. Actually live in hemel but i work in london... cabs are in hemel though! hmmm. could always make a journey one weekend with my cabs.. or maybe just take the plunge with Mr.Noisy and then if it doesn't work out, sell it on again. Hmmm I'll think about it!!![/quote]
Cool. I'm not actually in London myself but not too far south of it :)

[quote name='Sparky' post='1245388' date='May 26 2011, 11:28 AM']Thanks Merton & Pete for your input on the G.K.. What cab(s) are you both using?[/quote]
I'm using a Bergantino HS410, which is a pretty loud cab

I think that the little GK sounded great (bit of a marmite thing - keys player loved it, drummer hated it) and if you like that sound and you can get a MB500 for £300 like Jakester, I would consider that to be a good alternative

If your budget is going to be tighter you will need to shop around the secondhand forum / eBay but do be careful and make sure that you get an amp with sufficient headroom if you are going to gig it – as I said before, as good as it sounds, I have doubts that a MB200 will be loud enough!

And please don’t get a Behringer!!

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1245858' date='May 26 2011, 04:35 PM']So, if someone were to buy an Ashdown Little Giant and hook it up with a nice external pre-amp, the volume issues go away?

Truckstop[/quote]
Apparently, if reports are to be believed. I think the idea is to put the preamp between the send and return sockets.