Why become a member? ×

Fender MIJ 62 RI Jazz Bass

bubinga5

Ok ive just aquired one of these basses.. thought i would write a review.. although this is a fairly specific review as there are quite a few versions of the Fender 62 RI.

My specific bass is an Fender MIJ 62 RI from about 1989/90..has been a bit a bit of a minefield of miss information...

Alder body in surf green, which is fairly lightweight.. A lovely rosewood fretboard, Vintage style tuners, Vintage bridge,i installed Lollar pickups (i have the original Fender pickups)..Maple neck

Playability..

Wow this thing is like coming home for me... Its a Jazz bass.. Ive set up the bass and i can get the action nice and low..The neck is where its at, just the best ive played..Super slim with a great profile..Its just so easy to fly around on this bass.. It has a small amount of neck dive but i think this can be expected from the vintage tuners used, as i didnt get this from my old USA standard with the lighter tuners...No big deal.. my only gripe is that the grub screws that adjust the saddles are a little long and can dig into your inner forearm when slapping....again no big deal

Sound..

proper jazz bass tone as expected..Stuck some new DR low riders on there and there it is..

Wonderful growl and snap...Rosewood boards are a little darker than the sparkling highs of the maple boarded 75 RI i had, but no lesser a tone for it..Sometimes i think the more glassy tone comes from the huge amount of poly (or whatever used) on the maple boards.. ive actually fitted an Audere 3 band preamp to this bass, but im reviewing the stock bass.. but i will just say that the Audere has turned it into a super 62

Construction..

Ok this is where this bass shines...ive owned and played lots of Fender basses.. This bass is easily better than most of them in its construction...Its as good as my old Custom Shop LTD edition 1970 Jazz without doubt..Its built like a tank..The added bonus you get with this bass is you can take the pickguard off and there is no routing..You only get this on CS and MIM basses i believe.. i really dont like the routing under the USA basses..Makes them feel a little cheap to me.. the bass has very few dings for a 21 year old bass and is still very solid, i think its a testament to Fenders built in Japan..

Considering the price of these (ok they are getting more expensive) IMHO i would go MIJ/CIJ everytime..i dont care if its not made in the USA.. I think 99 percent of the time you will get a top draw Fender from Japan..i wouldnt have that same faith in the USA models im afraid.. and there half the price..AND there colours/models are way better

no brainer

Edited by bubinga5

I agree totally! MIJ is where it's at! I've got a 93, a 2000 and a 2006 and they are all fabulous.

But it's a pity they can't make Fenders at Japanese prices and quality in the States. Because when you get down to it buying a MIJ Fender is like buying a Cadillac made in Tokyo.......it's just not right somehow.

Even if it is better than the real thing.

Edited by gjones

I've got a MIJ '62RI from 1996. I love it. Apart from a good setup, the one thing i'd like to get sorted on it is the E tuner... there's movement between turning the peg and it ratcheting. Make sense? Means whenever i tune the E string I have to tune to below the note to tune back up - to make sure it doesn't slip. Do you know where to go for an exact replacement? I don't want to have to drill any new holes and I've no idea where to start. What do you reckon Bubinga?

Cheers,

Sparky.

Edited by Sparky

[quote name='Sparky' post='1244976' date='May 25 2011, 11:14 PM']I've got a MIJ '62RI from 1996. I love it. Apart from a good setup, the one thing i'd like to get sorted on it is the E tuner... there's movement between turning the peg and it ratcheting. Make sense? Means whenever i tune the E string I have to tune to below the note to tune back up - to make sure it doesn't slip. Do you know where to go for an exact replacement? I don't want to have to drill any new holes and I've no idea where to start. What do you reckon Bubinga?

Cheers,

Sparky.[/quote]

Sparky, have you tried just tightening up the tuner with a screwdriver when it's not under tension? Normally sorts this problem out.

Bubinga5 that is a sweet bass, I have a battered old MIJ 62RI from the 80s and it is just lovely in every way despite the gouges(!). My 90s 75RI though, the pickups are definitely a bit of a weak spot and replacing them gave the bass new life.

I have indeed Lawrence. Just looked at it and the problem seems to be with the peg itself. The part of the peg with the thread isn't being held tight by the housing to the top and the bottom. So when I turn the peg there's a small amount of vertical movement before it starts to ratchet. Hmmm... Wonder if I can just squeeze the opening tight/closed with a pair of pliers or something...

• 1 year later...