Why become a member? ×

Build a parts bass or buy....

LukeFRC

Hello... opinions on a post card please....

I have had 3 or so different jazz basses in the space of a year, the first, the red valenti 42 was amazing but something about it didn't fit with me.
The second a fsr fender usa jazz was nice too, not as well put together but fun to play, somewhat daftly sold it as i was moving house a few times... nice, but dont miss it.
then i picked up a cimar jazz from about 1975 which i bought to pass on to a friend who is starting to learn- this bass wasn't that well built and i had to fit a new neck- but it was so fun to play and super light and resonant. As much as i love helping my friend out I can't help feel I should have held onto it!

So im thinking of getting a new jazz bass.
something nice light and resonant, ideally maple or pau faro or something hard neck, not much radius on neck, ash body maybe, red? or some nice colour..... and the nordstrand pups on the valenti sounded amazing (though maybe too expensive) all wired passive ..... im not looking to spend silly amounts

so would i be best picking up parts secondhand, putting the work in, finishing the body myself and so on (which would be fun)

or just picking up a jazz bass secondhand?

I guess either separate parts secondhand or whole instrument second hand is a bit of a lottery.; you get resonant wood and you get dull stuff, at least with an assembled one you get to hear it and feel it.
You could spend a lot of money on separate bits from a reputable source but still not get the mojo since wood is natural and varies a lot.
I'd spend some time playing second hand ones till one 'speaks' to you.

[quote name='Eight' post='1240903' date='May 22 2011, 09:57 PM']Have you built and finished a bass before?

My feeling at the minute about building basses is that it's something fun and satisfying to do; but if you really want a quality bass then grab your wallet and go shopping. :)[/quote]

yup built a scary heavy fretless thing with a mm style pup in the mm style place. good fun.

why did i sell the cimar- it only cost £70!

If I had the cash I'd buy another Warmoth in a heartbeat. Top notch quality.

There's so much choice - you want a Jazz body with a precision and Stingray pickup routes, no problem. Gold coloured fretwire? Of course you can. 8 string neck that will fit a standard Fender body? forget about it

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1240917' date='May 22 2011, 10:04 PM']If I had the cash I'd buy another Warmoth in a heartbeat. Top notch quality.

There's so much choice - you want a Jazz body with a precision and Stingray pickup routes, no problem. Gold coloured fretwire? Of course you can. 8 string neck that will fit a standard Fender body? forget about it[/quote]

but i dont want a 8 string neck.....

:)

I got the Jazz neck from CH Guitars. It`s pretty good for what it cost. The frets are well finished with no sharp edges and the nut came pre cut. The only minus is that there is a slight gap around the neck pocket of the Squier body but what the heck. It may be a tighter fit with one of their own bodies.

Overall, good value and the service from CH was really good, ordered on the monday and it arrived on wednesday.

[attachment=80687:SAM_0164.JPG]
[attachment=80688:SAM_0166.JPG]
[attachment=80689:SAM_0168.JPG]

Jez