Why become a member? ×

My old beat up Rickenbacker 4001

Stag

Okay, this is my gigging weapon! Its been stuck into a few ceilings, had a tuning peg broken clean off it and pinned back in professionally, there's a belt buckle mark the size of the Grand Canyon on the back, the nut comes loose when you restring it... but it still sounds ace!

Cheers :)

Edited by Stag

October 1982 according to the serial number. It is an odd thing, which is half the reason I bought it... about 7 years ago now.

woodenshirt : I was a bit "Eh?" about the split pickguard as well! Bit of an oddity I must say.

One of these days ill use the neck pickup :-)

[quote name='Stag' post='14351' date='Jun 8 2007, 07:36 PM']I was a bit "Eh?" about the split pickguard as well! Bit of an oddity I must say.[/quote]
You lucky cuss. Give it to me! I'd kill for a split pickguard on my 4003. It would make it SOOOOO easy to do electronic work, not having to loosen all the strings and v-e-r-y c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y slide the big pickguard (with the neck pup attached) so as not to scratch the top of the body. :)

[quote name='Stag' post='14351' date='Jun 8 2007, 07:36 PM']October 1982 according to the serial number. It is an odd thing, which is half the reason I bought it... about 7 years ago now.

woodenshirt : I was a bit "Eh?" about the split pickguard as well! Bit of an oddity I must say.

One of these days ill use the neck pickup :-)[/quote]

It's odd alright! Says 4001 on the TRC, has a mid 80s split plate & big gap between neck & pup, and early 70s wavy Grovers. Is the colour a refin, do you think? Usually the white (I'm guessing it would have been white but has aged rather nicely!) went with black hardware/ binding - I can see paler binding on yours, if I'm not mistaken.

I'd guess it's a bit of a hybrid or a one-off. Either way, it's right luvverly! :)

Jon.

I have always had my suspicions that its a refin, and if its the case they did a crackin job on it I must say, no blemishes or tone changes in it (apart from the lovely nicotine stains where I used to stick fags under the strings at the top, oh dear). Could be a hybrid jobbie as well... but all the parts are definitely Rick :-)