Why become a member? ×

My new rig!

citymariner

the great thing is that I've sold my Mag 300 210t, Mag 115, Boss GEB-7, Boss OC-3, Boss ODB-3, Boss LS-2 and a camera lens I haven't used in a while (Nikon Nikkor 300mm f/4 - that I bought for 175 and sold for 427...) to cover the price of the rig AND have money left over to get a flight case for the Klystron head (those knobs being on a slope worries me slightly but looks ace!)

It's a fancy doorstop at the moment.

Went to gig it last night, checked my input level was ok and then went to turn the output level from 2 -4... POP!! Still getting input signal but NOTHING from the output section - not even hiss/ buzz/ crackle. The popping sound I heard I'd have thought is a fuse but I'm not opening it up. I'll ring on Monday for a replacement...

Luckily I was close enough to home to get the trusty MAG 300 out... Bad times.

It's probably the fuse on the output side - it's easy to replace but worth working out why it went.. IME it happens when you've plugged something in with the amp turned on.. .

[quote name='citymariner' post='1240309' date='May 22 2011, 01:31 PM']It's a fancy doorstop at the moment.

Went to gig it last night, checked my input level was ok and then went to turn the output level from 2 -4... POP!! Still getting input signal but NOTHING from the output section - not even hiss/ buzz/ crackle. The popping sound I heard I'd have thought is a fuse but I'm not opening it up. I'll ring on Monday for a replacement...

Luckily I was close enough to home to get the trusty MAG 300 out... Bad times.[/quote]

[quote name='Ghosts Over Japan' post='1239307' date='May 21 2011, 01:47 PM']my my, thats a very nice rig indeed![/quote]

[quote name='markstuk' post='1240333' date='May 22 2011, 01:46 PM']It's probably the fuse on the output side - it's easy to replace but worth working out why it went.. IME it happens when you've plugged something in with the amp turned on.. .[/quote]

Between you and me, I've opened her up and had a voltmeter across ALL the fuses inside and they ALL gave me the beep to show there is continuity.
I'm going to have another look today. It was 3am when I looked last night although the multimeter doesn't lie.

I plugged everything in, hit the mute button, then turned the amp on, didn't play for a little while (whilst I setup PA etc.) thinking it's new and I'll let it warm up.

Pushed to un mute and then tuned up at around 8 o'clock. Happy with my input level (waving around 12-1 o'clock) I thought I'd turn it up incrementally as I had not had it past 8 o'clock at home (the sash windows wouldn't take anymore!). I was literally watching the input, played a little and then I heard the tiny pop. Which sound like a fuse - it is that stereotypical sound that usually cause your eyes to roll towards the ceiling!

I'm gutted but I know there will be a solution somewhere down the line. Needless to say my mind was trying to remember A-level electronics from a decade ago rather than playing the bass live...

You know that rapture thing... maybe it applied to amplifiers and not people...

[quote name='bartelby' post='1244592' date='May 25 2011, 06:41 PM']Hurrah.

What was the problem?[/quote]

Don't know yet. I got a replacement sent as it'd been less than 30 days from purchase.

I have been in touch with Guy from Ashdown and logged the serial number and my notes of the amp blowing as I want to know what went wrong.

He said he'd et back to me to let me know and put my mind to rest. 24 hour response from Ashdown and replacement within a working day from Andertons.

Can't wait to move some air on Friday!

[quote name='citymariner' post='1247787' date='May 28 2011, 12:29 AM']Well just back from another gig and the rig stood up to the test. It sounded ace.[/quote]
Excellent, glad to hear it. Would be interested to know what happened.