Why become a member? ×

New Whammy Pedal

mcgraham

[url="http://www.digitech.com/en-US/news/digitech-introduces-the-whammy-dt-pedal-with-drop-tuning-and-true-bypass"]Check it out here![/url]

[url="http://www.digitech.com/en-US/products/whammy-dt"]And here![/url]

I for one am quite excited by this!

Edited by mcgraham

It's massive, that's the first thing that puts me off. My M9 does great whammy-style pitch shifting but with more versatility in selecting the intervals, and it does a good job of harmonising too, plus of course all the delays and verbs and dirt and filter and modulation effects - I don't get why I would want a Whammy any more.

Looks awesome. But as stated above - my go it's huge.

I can't see it being any use to me in my Drum & Bass set up as I only use the whammy for 2 specific functions which the regular one does great. I'm happy to keep the older one on the board as compared to the M9 I find it's tonal qualities are a little smoother. Not sure I can explain but the whammy just sounds 'nicer' though the swells and dive bombs.

The new one certainly isn't something for me, but if your buy one, Mark, I'll have a play :)

[quote name='cycrowave' post='1239169' date='May 21 2011, 11:40 AM']the most exciting new feature is that its true bypass,which is kinda lame for a 5th generation product. what i'd really like to see is a user defined harmony mode. wouldnt be that hard to implement[/quote]That may be a bit harsh! :) Aside from the drop-tune functions and momentary switch, the new Whammy is polyphonic. While we are yet to try the pedal, it is highly likely that, like other polyphonic octave pedals such as the EHX Pog or T-Rex Octavius, the tracking will be almost perfect.

[quote name='fxpedal.co.uk' post='1239548' date='May 21 2011, 06:10 PM']That may be a bit harsh! :) Aside from the drop-tune functions and momentary switch, the new Whammy is polyphonic. While we are yet to try the pedal, it is highly likely that, like other polyphonic octave pedals such as the EHX Pog or T-Rex Octavius, the tracking will be almost perfect.[/quote]

They're not tracking anything though are they? They're just re-sampling the input signal and reproducing it at the desired pitch. Harmony is different and requires pitch recognition and if it's going to be polyphonic it will introduce even worse latency problems and all sorts of nonsense.

Regardless of how new a pedal is it won't fix the fundamental problem with the physics of pitch-tracking a bass note.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1239908' date='May 22 2011, 02:31 AM']They're not tracking anything though are they? They're just re-sampling the input signal and reproducing it at the desired pitch. Harmony is different and requires pitch recognition and if it's going to be polyphonic it will introduce even worse latency problems and all sorts of nonsense.

Regardless of how new a pedal is it won't fix the fundamental problem with the physics of pitch-tracking a bass note.[/quote]

What he said! :)

I'd be interested to have a play with one of these. Although as others have mentioned, the size is potentially a downfall. The regular whammys weigh a bit too, so I can only imagine this weighs considerably more.

The momentary switch seems like a great idea.

I'm not sure about the down tuning features. Do many people even use the down tuning part of the regular whammy? Perhaps it's better suited to guitary peoples.

Why don't they just bring back the bass whammy? :)

• 3 months later...

I'm actually warming to this idea. I've heard reports that tracking is better and not only is it true bypass - but it works on 9v DC!!! Which is damn sight better than the noisy AC power of the old one. I'm using the whammy way more now that I used to and so I'm thinking about selling my Whammy IV and upgrading...