Why become a member? ×

What does my amp draw on a generator?

scalpy

Just a quick question really. I've got an outdoor gig on Sunday and the MD wants to know what load/draw/demand my amp will put on the generator. I've looked at the back of the amp but don't know what to tell him, 500W, 240v or something else. I'd RTFM if I knew what I was looking for!

The amp is a 500W Little Mark Tube.

Thank you in advance.

Harry

[quote name='deepbass5' post='1234762' date='May 17 2011, 07:45 PM']Have a look on the back the sticker will tell you My LMK has a 4 amp fuse, so thats the max, it probably will not draw more than two amps but just tell them 4Amps

and what jonthebass said.[/quote]
This.

If you get asked how many [u]watts[/u] you need from the jenny, say 1000 (1kW). That'll be way over what you actually use, but is around the maximum your amp would draw before the fuse blew (4A x 250V = 1000W), plus in this case more available power than you need is a good thing.

P.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1234759' date='May 17 2011, 07:41 PM']I can't help you with your amp question but make sure the generator is properly earthed.
You'd need to look it up and take advice on what is 'properly' but it is a life saving necessity.[/quote]
Generator power is always tricky, If it's your standard Honda jobby it won't have an earth and normal plug in testers (that i know some of you guys carry) often give false readings on gennies even my proper test gear can't do reading from portable generators. No earth isn't an issue with most generators and your household earths are more often than not nothing more than a tap off the neutral at source also the power is often generated as two 115v supplys out of phase by 180o to give the effect of a 50hz 230v. That mb head probably won't pull much but I agree to tell them you will need 4amp or 1000watt to be on the safe side :)