Why become a member? ×

BEWARE!!! ROGUE VENUE!!!

bassicinstinct

[quote name='originalfunster' post='150611' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:43 PM']Did you really see Rats in the kitchen? And how big did you say they were?
If I had seen them I would have phoned the environmental health dept straight away!

Incidentally the Ipswich environmental number is 01449 727685[/quote]

WTF?!? :) :huh:

[quote name='coasterbass' post='148824' date='Feb 29 2008, 09:57 AM'], I drew up a contract a couple of years ago which we post/fax to each venue before we play. The first clause is that regardless of whether they sign/reply etc to the contract, this counts as their terms and conditions. (I have no idea on the legal status of this statement though).[/quote]

Had a dispute with a venue of this basis and got the MU involved - they baiscally said that a clause like this in a contract that is unsigned is meaningless.

I may as well say I have a contract in front of me that says 'Dood will give me his Shuker 7-string if it rains on a Tuesday in March' even if he doesn't sign the contract. T'ain't worth the paper its written on.

Sorry peeps. As a past regular at the Railway (under previous management), (as a jazzer and with Swagger) I am appalled at their reported treatment of musicians. Your only option is a boycott. :)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='150988' date='Mar 4 2008, 12:13 PM']Had a dispute with a venue of this basis and got the MU involved - they baiscally said that a clause like this in a contract that is unsigned is meaningless.

I may as well say I have a contract in front of me that says 'Dood will give me his Shuker 7-string if it rains on a Tuesday in March' even if he doesn't sign the contract. T'ain't worth the paper its written on.

Sorry peeps. As a past regular at the Railway (under previous management), (as a jazzer and with Swagger) I am appalled at their reported treatment of musicians. Your only option is a boycott. :)[/quote]

A lot of the bands on the Railway Gig List are now sending out written contracts on the basis that if they come back signed, they'll do the gig and if they don't, they'll cancel. The trouble is that she'll just pick up the phone and get any one of the n umerous band who are queueing up to play there to cover the gig which will achieve nothing except to put more money in her pocket. Hopefully, though, word will get around and if she consitently puts on substandard bands, the punters will stop going to the venue at all.

I was doubly angered on the night to discover that she and her partner had just returned from 5 weeks holiday in Thailand, presumably at the expense of all the bands she has been systematically ripping off.

Boycott seems like a plan to me.. I'll [b]certainly[/b] never set foot in the place again.

Urrrnnngghhhh... It always depresses me to read threads like this, but at least word is spreading that this venue doesn't always treat bands fairly and reasonably. The bit about going to Thailand is the icing on the cake!

Sadly, the world is chock-full of people only interested in lining their pockets. Sure, we all have to make a living, but that would be a lot easier to achieve if people could keep their wanton greed in check every now and then.

Setting up a thread with venues to avoid, would definitely be a good idea in principle, though I can see how personal gripes defeat it's objective.

[quote name='tombboy' post='151235' date='Mar 4 2008, 06:50 PM']+1 on that.... IP addresses left all over the place which shouldn't be too difficult to trace![/quote]

I do understand and appreciate the sense and logic of that, but the band have very much come to the conclusion that the most satisfactory (and satisfying ;) ) approach to take is to "spread the word" as widely as possible and leave the rest to karmic forces. :)

I'm entirely confident that [b]she will [/b]get [b]more[/b] than her come uppance and I just hope I'm around to see it / hear about it. :huh: ;)

I do very much appreciate the support I/we have received here too. It goes a long way to restoring my faith in human nature. :huh: ;)

If I get forwarded to me one of the malicious "cancelling" emails I suspect the Railway Inn may have been resposible for sending, has anyone any idea how I can reveal the IP address of the PC from which the email was sent?

I havve some software avaiable to me which will enable me to trace the IP address to a Posal Code, which will suffice for our purposes, but I still need some advice on how to get the actual IP info.

Any and all help gratefully received as always.

I think you can only find out the address of the mail server the e-mail was forwarded through. You can find this in the header. If you're using outlook, right click on the e-mail and press options to view the header.

I could be wrong about that, but I don't think you'll get an ip address just from an e-mail.

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='152400' date='Mar 6 2008, 02:37 PM']If I get forwarded to me one of the malicious "cancelling" emails I suspect the Railway Inn may have been resposible for sending, has anyone any idea how I can reveal the IP address of the PC from which the email was sent?

I havve some software avaiable to me which will enable me to trace the IP address to a Posal Code, which will suffice for our purposes, but I still need some advice on how to get the actual IP info.

Any and all help gratefully received as always.[/quote]

I don't think it would be an over-reaction to go to the police.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='152424' date='Mar 6 2008, 03:13 PM']I think you can only find out the address of the mail server the e-mail was forwarded through. You can find this in the header. If you're using outlook, right click on the e-mail and press options to view the header.

I could be wrong about that, but I don't think you'll get an ip address just from an e-mail.[/quote]

I think you're right. The server that actually sends the email and the client that creates the email are usually completely separate entities. I guess if you reported the email to their provider as being malicious, they may be able to track it back to a specific IP. Though, depending on the type of provider, that may not yield any useful info either - e.g. if it was someone using a hotmail address from an internet cafe.

Ouch is right!! :)

They opened a free email account with ***@mail.com who have, very helpfully, explained that they are unable to relase any information unless under court order.

Having said that, I do appreciate that they have to be in a position to offer their clients a certain level of privacy, but it does seem wrong that this should enable them to use the account for such scurrilous purposes.

God forbid that we should encroach on the scumbag's civil liberties eh? :huh:

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='152400' date='Mar 6 2008, 02:37 PM']If I get forwarded to me one of the malicious "cancelling" emails I suspect the Railway Inn may have been resposible for sending, has anyone any idea how I can reveal the IP address of the PC from which the email was sent?[/quote]

You will need to examine the full message headers. You are looking for the first address in the chain of Recieved: messages, which will be the last such line as you look down the message and will look something like:

Received: from 77-74-8-93.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com (HELO somedodgyperson) ([77.74.8.93])
by smtp.someisp.co.uk with ESMTP; 06 Mar 2008 14:37:28 +0000

in this example, the IP address is 77.74.8.93.

For the purposes of this exercise, the IP address has been changed, but you can see that this dodgy person is using someisp as his ISP, and the 'dynamic.dsl' bit indicates that like most users in the world, he's using a DHCP address issued by the ISP. Clearly a work of fiction.

This information is competely useless to you unless you can persuade the ISP to tell you who was using that particular IP address at the time the message was sent. I'd be very surprised if anyreputable ISP were prepared to release that to you unless you were a policeman brandishing a court order.

This assumes that whoever did the deed used a mail client. It's also possible to send mail without revealing details of the sending IP address and there are plenty of anonymous email services.
[quote]I havve some software avaiable to me which will enable me to trace the IP address to a Posal Code, which will suffice for our purposes,[/quote]
I think it's highly unlikely that software will be any use to you whatsoever, since the IP Address is almost certain to be a DHCP address. I also think it's also pretty unlikely that the people at The Railway would get involved in something like this.

Edited by pete.young

[b]pete.young[/b][u][/u]:

Thanks very much for that. My brain hurts, but I [b]think[/b] I do understand a little more now. :huh: ;)

I note your comments regarding the Railway Inn, but I still find it a [b]remarkable[/b] coincidence that these mlaicious emails purporting to cancel our gigs should suddenly have arisen [b]within 3 days [/b]of our heated dispute with them - particularly as there is nobody else, as far as I'm aware, who has any reason to attempt to "wee on our cornflakes".

The feedback on the venue I have had since, both here and elsewhere, has been all negative so, until I'll able to prove otherwise, I remain fairly confident I know the guilty party. :)