Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB3000AF

Alemboid

Second in my desperate de-cluttering effort is this:

Yamaha BB3000AF, active, fretless, through-neck in pearlescent white with gold/brass hardware. The serial number probably dates it to late 1988 but I suspect the colour scheme already provided a heavy hint! I should point out that this BB is from the Taiwan period, not one of the original Japanese ones.

I've had this for a few years now and it's basically a rather lovely sounding and playing fretless in generally very good shape for its age. There is some buckle rash on the back down by the lower cutaway and the gold bits are a little tarnished. The main irritation is where a previous owner (honestly not me!) made a decidedly misguided attempt to put a strap lug on the heel of the neck. The result is two (!) little holes where they shouldn't be. It's purely cosmetic and has had no structural consequences but obviously must impact on the value of the bass. You can see the effect on the last of my photos.

Apart from that, it's great. The (probably) ebony board has only marginal wear and everything else (truss rod, electronics etc) works well. The neck and overall feel is especially sleek, I do think that these BBs are something of a hidden gem.

I've no idea what it's really worth but obviously have to suggest a price. How does [b]£300[/b] seem?

I'm near Oxford and would [i]rather[/i] meet up but posting's not completely out of the question.

Thanks!

B.

[attachment=79975:Yamaha_B...00_front.jpg]

[attachment=79976:Yamaha_B...in_front.jpg]

[attachment=79977:Yamaha_B...ain_rear.jpg]

[attachment=79979:Yamaha_B...ead_rear.jpg]

[attachment=79978:Yamaha_BB3000_head.jpg]

[attachment=79980:Yamaha_B...ck_close.jpg]

Edited by Alemboid

• 3 months later...

It's not me, I traded it against a 5 string status about eight weeks ago.

Mark

[quote name='BB2000' post='1368779' date='Sep 10 2011, 06:30 PM']This ones being resold on ebay, lest anyone missed it :
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-BB3000AF-fretless-bass-1980s-thru-neck-rare-/170692118281?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27be0b0709"]700% inflation[/url][/quote]

[quote name='BB2000' post='1368779' date='Sep 10 2011, 05:30 PM']This ones being resold on ebay, lest anyone missed it :
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-BB3000AF-fretless-bass-1980s-thru-neck-rare-/170692118281?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27be0b0709"]700% inflation[/url][/quote]
Well, closer to 130 per cent, but take your point re price hike. Saying that, the original seller knew it was worth more than he was asking, but was simply interested in creating space by clearing out some items he no longer had use for. When I'd discussed this very bass with him prior to it being listed here I'd commented it was worth more, and I'd feel guilty buying it cheap if I then went on to sell it for market value. As for its value, I'd say closer to £450 to £500 tops, altough £400 to £450 would be more realistically (as it's a Taiwanese version, not Japanese).

FYI, it's me reselling it as I need the cash to move house. I got this in a trade for a 5 string status which all things considered, in a better market, was worth more than I let it go for, plus as everyone's pointed out the BB3000 was clearly worth more than £300 - and didn't actually go for that amount so the inflation comments are a bit irrelevant.

The (partially inflated) price is to cover eBay costs plus the inevitable negotiation that always happens with best offers. If I listed it for £500 I'd only get offers around the £350 mark.

Happy to sell it for less than £695 to bass chatters though...very sad to see it go and if I didn't need to move house then it would be staying put, along with the other 5 guitars I'm having to sell :-(