Why become a member? ×

Managed to snag a bargain.

Shockwave

So after watching my footie team (Bristol Rovers) Triumph in the FA cup this afternoon, I perused the Gumtree ads and came across one for "Bass guitar, £30"

Yes its only a cheapy, I asked for pictures and got these.

I was a tad apprehensive after seeing those pictures. I wasent looking for a huge project, But decided to take a gamble. Its a Ventura bass.

The bass was dropped off over mine and came with a case. A top notch Hiscox case.

There was sticker goo all over the bass. Sticky Headstock, Really old strings, Rusty bridge, No screws in the Control plate which was held with duct tape in place. Dodgy Input jack etc. I didnt expect much more to be honest! But the case rocks! The inside is pristine!

Anyway. I decided to start stripping and cleaning everything, Took all the glue gunk off, Took all the fingerboard dirt off, Screwed down and cleaned the control plate etc. One of the tuner heads are defective and falls off, But works. Electronics are fine. Cleaned all the dirt off of the bridge. Removed the Ventura logo from the headstock.

So it now plays, Not brilliantly but far better then before.

So i need to fill in the huge chunk of wood thats missing from beneath the control plate. Sand the finish all the way down. Put a new set of gold tuners on it. All new gold hardware, and see where to go from there. Oh and new strings.

What to you reckon? For 3 hours work and lots of wire wool i think it looks a tad better!

Not sure if its worth it, Maybe try and sell it now and cut my losses. I am glad i spent the money due to the lovely hardcase :)

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Musky' post='141703' date='Feb 16 2008, 08:40 PM']You'll have Jon (Bassassin) spitting teeth!

That's vintage Japcrap - possibly Matsumoku!

Nice buy! :)[/quote]

I am pretty sure its not jap crap, I reckon its korean or chinese. Ventura werent allways japanese and they werent allways the same company. Its pretty recently built (Maybe late 90's) Either way, i am hundred percent its not jap.

Shockwave's right - not Jap, but £30? It would be downright defamatory no to! :)

I'd also guess it's a different Ventura to the 70s Japanese one - that was a brand owned by long-since defunct US importer C. Bruno & Co, & it's highly unlikely any of that brand officially made it to the UK.

Nice find, anyway, and for £30, I'd certainly put up with a bit of Black & Decker Home Relic-ing! :huh:

Also makes me think of an interesting point - ever seen a 70s JapCrap jazz copy with a rosewood board & dots? Me neither...

Jon.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='141708' date='Feb 16 2008, 08:49 PM']I am pretty sure its not jap crap, I reckon its korean or chinese. Ventura werent allways japanese and they werent allways the same company. Its pretty recently built (Maybe late 90's) Either way, i am hundred percent its not jap.[/quote]

As you were. I got carried away with the name there! :)

Still, a great bargain - that case must be worth the £30 on it's own.