Why become a member? ×

Never did show you my P

niceguyhomer

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='141793' date='Feb 17 2008, 08:47 AM']Tasty! :huh:

Did you get to hear the bass before the mods? I´m wondering how much difference better electronics can make in a MIM bass.[/quote]

I did about 3 or 4 gigs with the standard pup and it sounded fine. But then the Thumper went in and wow - what a difference. Louder, punchier and brighter with a real 'openness' to the sound. I would recommend this pup for every P bass and the guy at Wizard is a pleasure to deal with.

[quote name='mikeh' post='141794' date='Feb 17 2008, 08:53 AM']You got the thumper sorted then? I've played this and it is a stunning P. Sounded HUGE.
I think when I get my next P, I'll be sticking a Thumper in it.[/quote]

I did Mike - The guy at Wizard sent me a replacement before I sent the first one back. Im really pleased with it now except I'll have to take the flats off if I want to gig with it 'cos the others don't like the sound. Sheesh :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='141810' date='Feb 17 2008, 10:48 AM']I did about 3 or 4 gigs with the standard pup and it sounded fine. But then the Thumper went in and wow - what a difference. Louder, punchier and brighter with a real 'openness' to the sound.[/quote]
Cheers for that!

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='141810' date='Feb 17 2008, 10:48 AM']I'll have to take the flats off if I want to gig with it 'cos the others don't like the sound. Sheesh :)[/quote]
Oh my. What´s their problem? Too much thump and not enough highs?
You could always try a set of D´Addario Chromes for a brighter sound.

[quote name='cetera' post='142357' date='Feb 18 2008, 11:25 AM']VERY nice! Especially with the bridge cover... :huh:

Aren't the 'Thumpers' more mid-rangey/brighter than normal P pickups? I thought for a more trad soul sound/flats you'd want the Wizard 'Trad' pickups?[/quote]

The Thumper's exactly what I need ie; bright and punchy but I can still get a trad sound if I roll the tone off so best of both really. :)

Nice Al, very nice. Have you tried Thomastik flats? Nice bright click to them, not at all woolly like some flats I've tried, they were magic on that Lakland JO4 I had from Mike.

Can you believe I'm on the brink of buying another Marcus Jazz? After selling the one I had from you, and regretting it about 5 minutes later. If I don't get it, a Lakland DJ4 might be next on the hitlist, haven't decided yet.

[quote name='Rayman' post='144746' date='Feb 21 2008, 10:30 PM']Nice Al, very nice. Have you tried Thomastik flats? Nice bright click to them, not at all woolly like some flats I've tried, they were magic on that Lakland JO4 I had from Mike.

Can you believe I'm on the brink of buying another Marcus Jazz? After selling the one I had from you, and regretting it about 5 minutes later. If I don't get it, a Lakland DJ4 might be next on the hitlist, haven't decided yet.[/quote]

Hello mate,

they are TI flats I've got on it and I love 'em to bits but the others don't like the sound of flats. They're a funny bunch - I'm trading my Epi 212 cab for two Bergantino 112s today and they're up in arms about it. After all, Berg cabs are crap aren't they :)

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='141683' date='Feb 16 2008, 07:50 PM']Beautiful... I've always thought a bridge cover really finishes off a 'P' :)[/quote]

Well....it finishes your set early should you need to change a string in a hurry. Can't even get the old one off never mind the new one on.

None of which matters in this thread though which is about Alan's Precision. Looks well cool to me. Simple,clean lines , a kick too from the Wiz pickup I should think. Been wondering how they would compare to the Dunc QP on mine which I always think is a bit over aggressive.