Why become a member? ×

More Quiet Victories

Bilbo

Very nice Bilbo.

I was curious to hear what your playing would be like, given the words of wisdom you dish out on here, and yeah it's pretty much what I expected, to be honest - bloomin' great! This is certainly the sort of jazz I can enjoy; I can see why it brought a smile to your face :)

Superb recording too; sounds like I'm in the room.

Great job all round, sir.

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1228762' date='May 12 2011, 01:27 PM']I know its not Dave Holland but it swings and I am certainly pleased with it in terms of where I was a year ago.[/quote]

Not sure what you think you've still got to prove here Bilbo - but to me it sounds like you can play double bass...! Great work sir, very enjoyable and I wish I had the time, inclination, opportunity etc to take a similar journey - one day I will - when we move into a much bigger house... :)

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1230785' date='May 14 2011, 10:43 AM']we can all always improve....
will PM some thoughts if you think that would be useful.[/quote]

Please do, Jake. And feel free to do so in public, if you think it would be useful. One of the reasons I keep posting developments in my 'No Pain, No Gain' thread is to allow people to see what goes on when you take up an instrument like this after years of playing double bass (like a blog but without the pressure!!). I can already hear some 'shortcomings' on the track and still feel that there is a lot to do in terms of mastering the instrument but, in terms of getting from not playing to being a gigging player, its a useful marker to how long it takes and what the learning points are. I am big enough to take crticism and feel that doing so in public to help others learn would be perfectly acceptable to me.

Good thinking... :)
I just think its worth you starting to pay attention to the fact that DB speaks a little slower than BG so it's worth learning to get your crotchet right up at the front of the beat, the way to do this is to experiment in playing ahead to get the attack of the note really consistently driving.
Listen to Ray Brown again... in many cases he races but the pulse he produced was so phenomenally compelling.
I presume you have Night Train and all those ..... 'sits in with the Oscar Peterson trio' albums... if not the ones without drums are a must to hear just how driving he was and then any of the trio albums with Ed Thigpen... just a fearsome feel always.
If you get that right...

Edited by jakesbass

Good points, Jake. I have some of those OP albums, certainly some recordings with Ray B and Ed T. I will have a listen to them and compare with the new recordings I have of myself. I have a bit of time today to spend practising so will get to it straight away. Thanks for the pointers.