Why become a member? ×

US charvel p/j in local shop

cocco

Hi guys, there's a mint condition US charvel P/J in a shop near me. It's up for £799 but I've been offered it for 6, that still seems expensive too me, it apparently originally cost £1499 but as we know that means nothing. I think the model is B28. Spec wise it's a passive 4 with Bass lines p/j pickups and a badass, controls are vol blend tone, no scratch plate and metallic blue in colour. Anyone got any words of wisdom? It sounds and plays great! But the price seems high.

In the '80s I would guess that these had that kind of value... seems a little high now (unless you're looking to do Bon Jovi covers with it :) ). Are the p'ups original? I thought these were EMG... is it definitely a US build?

[topic="74654"]Charvel[/topic]

Might be worth waiting while and making an offer.

That's the sort of bass that hangs around in a shop for ages and eventually gets offloaded on the cheap, the staff will be sick of the sight of it!
High quality instrument but not really popular since 1989.

Oh, and knock £100 off for the pointy headstock. If it was white you could have knocked a further £100 off :)

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1226208' date='May 10 2011, 02:11 PM']i dunno. if you're into metal they're aint much better than a charvel. demz wuz da siht bak in the day. i'd love a charvel strat.[/quote]

I've got a mate (who is sitting at the desk just over there ---> in the office I'm working in today) who keeps buying old Charvels on eBay out of a sense of nostalgia and then selling them again. I think most of them come and go for under £200. I think he's got a black model 4 at the moment, collecting dust at home.

The long and short is that it depends.

The import Charvels will sell for £200-£300. They're generally very good and will make a MIM Fender look like rubbish.

As with such brands, the US models will have higher craftsmanship, quality parts, etc - [i]but it depends[/i].

I think you should dig out a Charvel expert, someone like Mike/Amimbari on Talkbass - show him what you've found, the serial #, etc, and get him to point you in the right direction.

I'm guessing this is the Welsh one which has been on Ebay for all eternity? I think it's still being on sale says a lot about what the general market thinks of the previous price point.

Yeah that's the one! I think I'm gonna hold out for a similar spec black one. It's a joy to play, I like the pointy headstock in an eddie van halen sorta way. Maybe even a Kramer or something else pointy.