Why become a member? ×

Bass DI boxes

reggaemaster

Hello good people of basschat!
My dilema is fairly simple, will any of the outputs of a DI box like an Aggie tonehammer, or a MXR M80, be suitable for headphone use? Basicaly I am looking for a pedal which has a DI, 3 or more band EQ, some sort of overdive or distortion, and a way of plugging headphones into it. Does such a thing exist? I was guessing that as these DI boxes have preamps in them, that the output would be suitable for headphones? I am may be talking complete rubbish as I am a bit of a bass noob, but i could really do with some guidence :-)

DI, distortion and headphones - can't think of one box that does it all, but plenty that do 2 out of 3. Maybe focus on the distortion (as thats the most personal taste?) and get a simple headphone amp to plug into? Otherwise your into full blown multi effect boxes.....

I use my Para Driver in this way. It drives headphones fine but is not the loudest.

I don't think it's necessarily true that any preamp / line out will drive headphones.... I think a designated headphone out is designed to drive a lower impedance.

The EBS Microbass II does have a dedicated headphone out and I think does everything else you want (and much more).

Edited by topo morto

[quote name='BassBod' post='1224357' date='May 8 2011, 06:51 PM']DI, distortion and headphones - can't think of one box that does it all, but plenty that do 2 out of 3. Maybe focus on the distortion (as thats the most personal taste?) and get a simple headphone amp to plug into? Otherwise your into full blown multi effect boxes.....[/quote]

I see... Is there some kind of small box, that could turn the output of a MXR M80 into one i can plug headphones into? Or what DI boxes are available that have headphones output? The reason i ask is that the headphone output of my GK MB500 is very hissy, and i want i decent DI box anyway. Oh, and thank you for the reply :-)

[quote name='topo morto' post='1224371' date='May 8 2011, 07:04 PM']I use my Para Driver in this way. It drives headphones fine but is not the loudest.

I don't think it's necessarily true that any preamp / line out will drive headphones.... I think a designated headphone out is designed to drive a lower impedance.

The EBS Microbass II does have a dedicated headphone out and I think does everything else you want (and much more).[/quote]

Yeah, the EBS looks awesome but it's very pricey. Maybe i could use my Boss limiter enhancer just as a volume boost if it's not that loud... but then it would probably just hiss a lot :-/ cheers for the reply

[quote name='reggaemaster' post='1224373' date='May 8 2011, 07:05 PM']I see... Is there some kind of small box, that could turn the output of a MXR M80 into one i can plug headphones into?[/quote]

[url="http://www.ehx.com/products/headphone-amp"]http://www.ehx.com/products/headphone-amp[/url]

Don't have it myself, looks cool though!

[quote name='topo morto' post='1224382' date='May 8 2011, 07:11 PM'][url="http://www.ehx.com/products/headphone-amp"]http://www.ehx.com/products/headphone-amp[/url]

Don't have it myself, looks cool though![/quote]

Haven't seen one of those before! They look awesome, combined with a MXR M80 would do everything i need and be £100 cheaper than the EBS. Thank you very much!! XD

[quote name='reggaemaster' post='1224378' date='May 8 2011, 07:10 PM']Yeah, the EBS looks awesome but it's very pricey. Maybe i could use my Boss limiter enhancer just as a volume boost if it's not that loud... but then it would probably just hiss a lot :-/ cheers for the reply[/quote]
At the risk of being cheeky, I've got one up for sale at the moment in the For Sale section. It'd save you a few bob on the new price if you're interested in actually buying one :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='1224486' date='May 8 2011, 08:35 PM']At the risk of being cheeky, I've got one up for sale at the moment in the For Sale section. It'd save you a few bob on the new price if you're interested in actually buying one :)[/quote]

THIS^^ or do your own suggestion, the M-80 is fantastic.

[quote name='Finbar' post='1224486' date='May 8 2011, 08:35 PM']At the risk of being cheeky, I've got one up for sale at the moment in the For Sale section. It'd save you a few bob on the new price if you're interested in actually buying one :)[/quote]

I just listened to some sound clips and i am kind of set on the M80 now :-/ I just really like the distortion, mainly due to the dry/distorted blend knob. Sorry and good luck with your sale!

[quote name='reggaemaster' post='1224601' date='May 8 2011, 10:24 PM']I just listened to some sound clips and i am kind of set on the M80 now :-/ I just really like the distortion, mainly due to the dry/distorted blend knob. Sorry and good luck with your sale![/quote]
Don't worry about it :)

[quote name='reggaemaster' post='1224601' date='May 8 2011, 10:24 PM']I just listened to some sound clips and i am kind of set on the M80 now :-/ I just really like the distortion, mainly due to the dry/distorted blend knob. Sorry and good luck with your sale![/quote]
I absolutely love mine, as do plenty of others on here. I've just built a pedal board with a looper switch, and have placed the M80 outside of the loop, so that it's always on, no matter whatever else is going on - it's become such a big part of my sound.

My recommendation is use a DI as a DI and a headphone amplifier as a headphone amplifier.

The circuits are different and the they are designed to drive different loads. Providing the DI can deliver the full range of frequencies to the hardphones, you may and you damaging the DI connecting a headphone to the output.

The same applies the pedals. Unless the builder says otherwise, they are not designed to drive headphones.

Just to confirm, you're fine with the para driver/sansamps...

[quote]Can I use headphones with my SansAmp?

You can, but the output was designed to be low enough so as not to overload whatever you plug it into (mixer, combo amp). Therefore, it may not be the most satisfying level. We suggest you plug the SansAmp into a mixer or home stereo (auxiliary input) and then you can crank the cans as loud as you like.[/quote]

But as you see, they say themselves that it's gonna be quiet, so headphone amp still useful!

Our drummer uses one of these for his headphone mix - [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Behringer-MA400-MicroMon~ID~4956.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~B...Mon~ID~4956.asp[/url]. Cheap and works OK, even if it does say behringer on it.

Having said that I really like the look of Silent Fly's headphone amp on his website. Maybe he could make a DI and headphone amp in one box. Now that would be sweet!

Edited by jim_bass

• 2 weeks later...