Why become a member? ×

Been asked to join a band

Mr. Foxen

But they are so outside my previous experience, and I seem to be expected to learn it all by ear.

The band is [url="http://www.myspace.com/meaculpanoise"]Mea Culpa[/url]

Previously I've played chessy blues and 3 chord rock, generally covers where I can hit the tabs or chord chart up if I get stuck. Any tips?

Not really my area, but I often get asked to learn stuff fast (or more often just make it up on the spot)

Get recordings, (live is best) even if they're different to the current versions - ask for a list of what they really want you to know (a lot of bands only ever play half of what they could on gigs..). Make some notes on your "master list" about keys (tunings?) arrangements etc

Don't worry about learning everything in detail, just rough out the whole lot and learn where the tricky bits are - you can get back to them, or fake your way thru for now. Your focus should be on learning the part, but mostly about how to fit into the band, that's what they want. If they're talking to you then your half way there....good luck, and hope you enjoy it.

BB