Why become a member? ×

Squier Precision Pro-Tone 5 string

Wilco

I'm thinking of buying one of these. 1997 model in excellent condition for its age. £400.

I've yet to physically see it - anybody got experience of one? I'm led to believe these are as good as a MIM or CIJ 'proper' fender. Does that price seem about right?

Ta in advance for any info.

I've played one once & it wasn't a bad bass for the money, the bottom line though is that it's definitely a budget instrument.
I wouldn't say it was on a par with Japanese Fenders I've played which have all been excellent quality-wise.

I think you'd notice quite a big drop in quality if you're moving from that Maverick 5 string you're selling to one of these. I'd certainly try it before you buy it if possible

£400 seems a bit steep to me - I've seen them go for £250 - £300.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1218343' date='May 3 2011, 09:39 AM']I've played one once & it wasn't a bad bass for the money, the bottom line though is that it's definitely a budget instrument.
I wouldn't say it was on a par with Japanese Fenders I've played which have all been excellent quality-wise.

I think you'd notice quite a big drop in quality if you're moving from that Maverick 5 string you're selling to one of these. I'd certainly try it before you buy it if possible

£400 seems a bit steep to me - I've seen them go for £250 - £300.[/quote]

Thanks for your post - I did have my doubts about the price for sure, & was thinking £250 would've been nearer the mark.
I think a MIM fiver would be a better quality instrument & generally they sell for around £350 on here.

I can't see the seller of the Pro-tone dropping the price that much - i'll have to wait until a passive MIM gets posted for sale!

[quote name='Wilco' post='1218399' date='May 3 2011, 10:38 AM']Thanks for your post - I did have my doubts about the price for sure, & was thinking £250 would've been nearer the mark.
I think a MIM fiver would be a better quality instrument & generally they sell for around £350 on here.

I can't see the seller of the Pro-tone dropping the price that much - i'll have to wait until a passive MIM gets posted for sale![/quote]

+1 dude.
No way that Squier is "rare" or "sought after" by any means, pretty sure Squier only made it for a couple of years as it didn't sell well.
A secondhand MIM fiver would be much more sensible, or perhaps a Squier Jazz Deluxe 5 string, they're apparently very good instruments and I think they can be had new for about £250...
( [url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0300575500"]http://www.squierguitars.com/products/sear...rtno=0300575500[/url] )

Good luck matey,
Eude

I have a MIJ Silver Squier Jazz from around 92-94. I paid £250 for it and frankly it's my favorite bass and I have a couple of other very nice Jazzes. Don't know much about the Korean Pro-Tones though but they can't be any better than a MIJ Squier and I wouldn't pay more than £250 for one.

I'd say the silver series squiers are probably more desirable because they're MIJ, but the pro-tone stuff is very similar in quality and feel. There's also not a great deal of difference between them and MIM standard Fenders, but again, the Fender branding ensures MIM std's will always fetch a bit more.

All in all, it should be a really good guitar, but as others have said, is at least £100 over the market value in my honest opinion.

[quote name='danhkr' post='1221640' date='May 5 2011, 09:49 PM']I'd say the silver series squiers are probably more desirable because they're MIJ, but the pro-tone stuff is very similar in quality and feel. There's also not a great deal of difference between them and MIM standard Fenders, but again, the Fender branding ensures MIM std's will always fetch a bit more.

All in all, it should be a really good guitar, but as others have said, is at least £100 over the market value in my honest opinion.[/quote]

There seems to be a good consensus of opinion then that £250 is tops, which I agree with. In that case the seller has had a result because he sold it for £350!!

More fool the buyer for not being a bass chatter! :)