Why become a member? ×

Firecreek 5 String

nugget

Made a start on the next one, only roughly shaped, will be a bit more rounded.
Body is crotch walnut with a little bit of flame, very crazy grain flow to this
Top is two-tone Rio Rosewood
Set neck is from same stock as the top, nice spalting. Fretboard is just the top cut off the neck so matches perfectly.

[attachment=78653:RW5_Full.JPG]
[attachment=78654:RW5_Front.JPG]
[attachment=78655:RW5_Back.JPG]

[quote name='nugget' post='1215120' date='Apr 29 2011, 05:21 PM']Made a start on the next one, only roughly shaped, will be a bit more rounded.
Body is crotch walnut with a little bit of flame, very crazy grain flow to this
Top is two-tone Rio Rosewood
Set neck is from same stock as the top, nice spalting. Fretboard is just the top cut off the neck so matches perfectly.

[attachment=78653:RW5_Full.JPG]
[attachment=78654:RW5_Front.JPG]
[attachment=78655:RW5_Back.JPG][/quote]
Yep, like that a lot, will look lovely.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='skelf' post='1233327' date='May 16 2011, 05:40 PM']Hi
Are you a spalted board is a good idea for a neck.[/quote]

Thanks - it looks good and a bit different which is always good..... I kinda fancy exploring the fretboard timbers a bit, it's finding wierd pieces hard enough not to zap tone and sustain. I've got some Jarrah burr that might make a stunning fretboard but would take some 'creative' filling as it's a bit knarly.
I've been on the look out for something with a long straight crotch grain - let me know if you see anything like that (that you dont want)

I've got this
[attachment=80093:Crotch_B...Mahogany.jpg]
but the flame is too wide and not straight enough to look good on a fretboard

Edited by nugget

[quote name='skelf' post='1234017' date='May 17 2011, 10:07 AM']Sorry. That should have been are you sure a spalted board is a good idea for a neck. Spalt wood is not really known for being structural sound.[/quote]

Totally agee - but this spalted is very hard, no noticable difference between this and the heartwood which is why I used it. Tapping the timber sounds identical and it's just as hard to chisel and shape.
It's not heavily spalted so the rots not too far set in. I've set aside the more heavily spalted pieces from the tree for tops

• 1 month later...

Havent had much sapare time lately due to getting ready to move house but it's now just about done, just a little fettling here and there. The rosewood has come up so well, love it.

Rosewood Top
[attachment=83061:Front.jpg]

Crotch Walnut Back
[attachment=83062:Back.jpg]

[attachment=83063:Full.jpg]

One Piece Neck
[attachment=83064:One_Piece_Neck.jpg]

I didnt want a scratchplate or control cover on back as the back is so pretty so access to control cavity is via the bottom
[attachment=83065:DSCF8768.jpg]

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1321015526' post='1434362']
Wow! that's some beautiful wood, I really love the neck it's similar to something Roscoe do and give me an idea for yet another build :)
[/quote]

Neck / Fretboard was gorgeous, didnt flex any more than typical 1/4sawn maple etc only a little tweek on the truss rod! The supplier I got the timber from still has one more 6ft plank of that rio rosewood left - I might raide the bank and get the rest!!!

[quote name='nugget' timestamp='1321023461' post='1434512']
Neck / Fretboard was gorgeous, didnt flex any more than typical 1/4sawn maple etc only a little tweek on the truss rod! The supplier I got the timber from still has one more 6ft plank of that rio rosewood left - I might raide the bank and get the rest!!!
[/quote]

Well worth having a lump of that in the wood store if you can spare the £££'s