Why become a member? ×

What Effects to use to get this bass tone

elephantstone

Boss OC2/3 and some good fingerwork should get you pretty damned close I think.

Sounds like the lower octave is changing differently to the upper in place though so it might be two different basslines rather than just a straight 'sound'.

Edited by TomTFS

I'd also try running (in parallel) either a bandpass or a lowpass with a high resonance to get the mid-bump. TBH an EQ pedal in parallel would also do the job.

I've used an M13 to get the FM/PWM/trianglewave thing that I've run in parallel to a sub to get that too. In fact, in preparation for a recent recording session I recreated a sound that's very similar to this but with a filthy, reece-y, squarewave on top.

Yikes!

Dan

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1213075' date='Apr 27 2011, 08:06 PM']I'd also try running (in parallel) either a bandpass or a lowpass with a high resonance to get the mid-bump. TBH an EQ pedal in parallel would also do the job.

I've used an M13 to get the FM/PWM/trianglewave thing that I've run in parallel to a sub to get that too. In fact, in preparation for a recent recording session I recreated a sound that's very similar to this but with a filthy, reece-y, squarewave on top.

Yikes!

Dan[/quote]

sounds great, but i inly understood about 1% of that :)

so, a lowpass filter with a high resonance?

Think Dans on the right track.

I'd be suprised if that is a Bass, so a Synth using an octave effect with some sort of inverted saw tooth waveform.

So I would agree an Octaver, I use a OC2 but the clip is much cleaner than a pedal and the inverted Wah type of effect would probably have to go infront because it probably would not handle the lower octave the other way. Need to experiment with an Octaver and a synth pedal or Wah. a multi effects pedal may get you closer with more editing available.

Have fun trying

[quote name='elephantstone' post='1213830' date='Apr 28 2011, 02:09 PM']sounds great, but i inly understood about 1% of that :)

so, a lowpass filter with a high resonance?[/quote]

If you understand the natures of cutoff and resonance and how they interact then you'll understand that if you set the cutoff in a midrange position and boost the resonance you'll get a peak that'll accentuate a midpoint in the EQ spectrum. The problem is, you'd then want to turn the overall level down so the peak doesn't clip everything. The problem with this is you'll lose the bass and low mid and all the interesting part of the sound. You could use a clean blend (which would be running the filter in parallel) to get the rest of the sound back, but then you might as well just go Octaver>EQ instead of doing stupid complicated things with a filter.

Ask any questions and we'll try and answer them.

Dan

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1215004' date='Apr 29 2011, 03:14 PM']FWIW I would want an OC-2, a very squishy compressor and a bass with a bridge pickup. I think that's all you need.[/quote]

I have to agree that you're not far wrong. Would need to be an OC2 rather than any other octave though.

What is it about OC-2
I have one by chance, bought it second hand 15 years ago, I have always thought i should get a new one soon, but a dep guitarist a few Gigs ago said wow you've got an OC-2. and various threads on here i have seen people going on about them.

[quote name='deepbass5' post='1216128' date='Apr 30 2011, 08:52 PM']What is it about OC-2[/quote]

It's like a vintage synth that is loved for its signature sound. Every gig I play, if any musician comes up to me after the show they always want to know what pedal I used to get "that awesome sub sound", they never ask about any of the other effects I use, it's always the OC-2. :) I get a lot of sound guys asking me about it too.

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1213955' date='Apr 28 2011, 04:47 PM']If you understand the natures of cutoff and resonance and how they interact then you'll understand that if you set the cutoff in a midrange position and boost the resonance you'll get a peak that'll accentuate a midpoint in the EQ spectrum. The problem is, you'd then want to turn the overall level down so the peak doesn't clip everything. The problem with this is you'll lose the bass and low mid and all the interesting part of the sound. You could use a clean blend (which would be running the filter in parallel) to get the rest of the sound back, but then you might as well just go Octaver>EQ instead of doing stupid complicated things with a filter.

Ask any questions and we'll try and answer them.

Dan[/quote]

Cool, thanks for clearing that up,

Think this is the route i will go down, just need to get hold of an oc-2 as the other guys seem to think this is the one to go for.

Thanks for all the help.

ES

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1217003' date='May 1 2011, 10:43 PM']4 = square (wave) , good call

i've tried other octavers (the aguilar is more natural) but nothing beats an oc-2, so far..[/quote]

I find the Aguilar to get really OC-2ish when you roll the octave filter to the right for the more growly synthy tone. It's more natural on the left side of the knob, but on the right it's just down right filthy!