Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Old MusicMan stingray bridge..

Robert Manning

I have a 94 stingray..

with the older larger style bridge with serial number stamped onto it.
okay, so there are four allen key bolts in front of the bridge saddles, and a small gap underneath the bridge and the body...
am i right in thinking this is where string mutes would go?! there bolts arnt hand adjustable like the other old music man basses ive seen... can some one help me identify if string mutes can be added?
or am i being silly and there just to hold the bridge on securely!

please help!

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1209961' date='Apr 24 2011, 12:21 PM']Sounds like where the mutes would go, here's my '92 bridge if that helps
[/quote]

[url="http://web.ecomplanet.com/TOWN8019/mycustompage0004.htm"]http://web.ecomplanet.com/TOWN8019/mycustompage0004.htm[/url]

found out mine is a 'flea' trans bridge!, or something. no string mutes, but i could install theme simply :)

The bridges around 1994-95 had bolts in place of the string mute/spring/thumbscrew assembly. They can be retro-fitted and now with the Classic series they are available again. I bought my mutes/springs from Mark at Bass Direct. The bridge needs to come off to fit them. They cost me all of £25 delivered :)

[quote name='lapolpora' post='1210089' date='Apr 24 2011, 03:29 PM']The bridges around 1994-95 had bolts in place of the string mute/spring/thumbscrew assembly. They can be retro-fitted and now with the Classic series they are available again. I bought my mutes/springs from Mark at Bass Direct. The bridge needs to come off to fit them. They cost me all of £25 delivered :)[/quote]

Thanks man!, :)
robert

If I can't get some shorter ones then I'll have to.

Robert! I wonder if you've got the mutes yet and have this issue.

Mark at bass direct it's first he has heard of the screws being too long causing the mutes to sit underneath them and not the string. I wonder if the screws I have on mine are non-original.

Well the E string seems fine, however the A does dig into the mute, and then the D and G are so long that there'd be no point having mutes there.

They are best part of 5 mm longer than Gafbass02's

Mark at bassdirect is seeing what he can do for me :)

I'd would like to ask if anyone else has Allen key headed intonation screws?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1215314' date='Apr 29 2011, 09:02 PM']Ah, no never seen Allen heads screws on any MM bass.[/quote]

First time on any bass, ever, for me.

So they are more than likely non-original, just hope I can get this sorted before rehearsal next week.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done lots of restorations of the vitage mute assemblies.

The reason the newest EB mutes don't fit well is because the newer bridge saddles made for the EB Classic are taller than the vintage preEB and early EB saddles, so the foam pads are taller as well.
You'll either have to carefully cut them down, or cut your own shorter pads.

Edited by mikeswals

[quote name='mikeswals' post='1230283' date='May 13 2011, 06:58 PM']I've done lots of restorations of the vitage mute assemblies.

The reason the newest EB mutes don't fit well is because the newer bridge saddles made for the EB Classic are taller than the vintage preEB and early EB saddles, so the foam pads are taller as well.
You'll either have to carefully cut them down, or cut your own shorter pads.[/quote]
Its the intonation pins being (after Market) too long not the pads being too high :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1230296' date='May 13 2011, 07:05 PM']Its the intonation pins being (after Market) too long not the pads being too high :)[/quote]

Indeed. Mark at bass direct sorted me out with correct sized intonation screws and now the bridge is in one with the string mutes, looks great and sound great with flats.

Very nice!!!!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1230296' date='May 13 2011, 11:05 AM']Its the intonation pins being (after Market) too long not the pads being too high :)[/quote]

Well most of the originals were that way too where the D and G intonation screws ran into the pads. After a few hot summer days the pads would migrate forward a tad from being pushed by the screw.

Properly funky stuff with mutes.

[quote name='mikeswals' post='1235358' date='May 18 2011, 10:41 AM']Well most of the originals were that way too where the D and G intonation screws ran into the pads. After a few hot summer days the pads would migrate forward a tad from being pushed by the screw.[/quote]

Ive seen pictures of the old old stingrays and I agree the D and G do push into the pad, however on mine the screws were after Market and the pad sat underneath the screw making them obsolete.
They were after Market and Mark at bass direct swiftly sorted me out, over a bank holiday aswell.