Why become a member? ×

2EQ Ray

Musicman20

Ok, I've had this before.

My Ray5, same settings ish, same amp, same cable is almost totally silent.

The virtually brand new Ray 2EQ H has that annoying static noise that goes when you touch any part of the metal on the bass.

Changed the battery, cable, amp, power supply, same thing.

Is this normal? Note the Ray 5 HS is silent, well almost!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1209552' date='Apr 23 2011, 09:44 PM']The virtually brand new Ray 2EQ H has that annoying static noise that goes when you touch any part of the metal on the bass.[/quote]

You have a poor earth connection somewhere inside the bass.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1213567' date='Apr 28 2011, 09:46 AM']I tried all variables, so now unfortunately its off back to be checked out.[/quote]

My 2eq developed a similar bad buzz. Got the bass gallery to screen the pick up and control routing. Now quieter than my 3 eq.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1214311' date='Apr 28 2011, 11:39 PM']It's now off back to S&T to see what they are going to do![/quote]
There's no luck like bad luck and you've definitely had your share now, right?
Fingers crossed you get to enjoy a proper EBMM bliss soon!

Bass back, hand prints, dusty!

Apparently it was a dry solder joint on the battery...hmmm....well that's not helpful.

Bass is exactly the same...noisy and clicky compared to all my other gear.

Don't know what they've done but I'm going to the store to get either a refund or a new bass.

Really really annoyed now.

not having much luck with gear lately eh? :lol:

that's very frustrating. I hope you get a replacement quickly.

I read about your RH750 problem. To give you some hope... on my 3rd gig with my new RH450 nearly 2 years ago, it went puff with white smoke during soundcheck on a Saturday night gig. Fortunately there was another head at the venue and I used that... On Sunday I emailed TC and also posted on Talkbass about it (I didn't know BC yet :)) On Monday I got the customer service from TC contacting me both through my original direct email and my post on Talkbass! On Monday afternoon I am told that my local dealer did not have a replacement, but they had arranged to send one from Denmark for me. On Wednesday morning they tell me it arrived at my local Guitar Guitar. At lunchtime I walked in with the old one, and walked out with the new one.
I don't think they will leave you hanging very long.

I must say I mentioned to them how I had a couple of gigs that very weekend and that I had had a few people asking me about the amp and how well it sounded, and that it would be a shame to play witha different amp. :)

Good luck!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1222525' date='May 6 2011, 07:46 PM']Bass back, hand prints, dusty!

Apparently it was a dry solder joint on the battery...hmmm....well that's not helpful.

Bass is exactly the same...noisy and clicky compared to all my other gear.

Don't know what they've done but I'm going to the store to get either a refund or a new bass.

Really really annoyed now.[/quote]

You do get some duff gear don't you! There isn't much in there is there a proper tech should of had it right in no time :)

As per some other threads ive been reading, ive been told more than likely its a shielding issue (a lack of of it).

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE says it should be silent if the actual power supply is healthy and earthed, which it is as my other basses, including the Ray 5 HS, is silent. Even the SR P Bass is silent.

Basically, I think the UK importers are going to say 'thats normal', when, ahem, we all know it isnt. Everytime you touch the metal on the bass....click click click....a bass this price should be near perfect.

Well, after all this, im not going to stand for it. They either offer me a new bass or a refund, or ill take it further.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1222612' date='May 6 2011, 09:20 PM']not having much luck with gear lately eh? :lol:

that's very frustrating. I hope you get a replacement quickly.

I read about your RH750 problem. To give you some hope... on my 3rd gig with my new RH450 nearly 2 years ago, it went puff with white smoke during soundcheck on a Saturday night gig. Fortunately there was another head at the venue and I used that... On Sunday I emailed TC and also posted on Talkbass about it (I didn't know BC yet :)) On Monday I got the customer service from TC contacting me both through my original direct email and my post on Talkbass! On Monday afternoon I am told that my local dealer did not have a replacement, but they had arranged to send one from Denmark for me. On Wednesday morning they tell me it arrived at my local Guitar Guitar. At lunchtime I walked in with the old one, and walked out with the new one.
I don't think they will leave you hanging very long.

I must say I mentioned to them how I had a couple of gigs that very weekend and that I had had a few people asking me about the amp and how well it sounded, and that it would be a shame to play witha different amp. :)

Good luck![/quote]

Apparently the TC amp is on its way.

To be fair, TCs service has been stunning. I will make a post about this soon.

I even got a message on my phone from Uffe himself, and then an email following it up. The mute pop may be normal, it depends on what the other units are like, but as it was brand new, and had a scuff on the underside even though the amp was sealed in the box, Im playing it safe and getting another.

I have never known any more silent basses than single pup Rays even at high volumes with the treble boost up they are fairly hiss free. I presume the earth is behind the bridge as normal but I have never took one off (never needed too) I bet thats all it is , Bridge off, bend the wire over double and move it to a fresh position to make a new contact, Job done. :) The shielding paint wouldnt of been missed surely? The earth wire could of sunk into the paint finish between QC and you receiving it in fairness I have seen that before but the tech should of sorted it really either way.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Its been back to S&T in the UK, and they should know how it works as do you. It seems they have done very little with it, apart from send it round the country. I think the shielding paint has been missed, or the pickup/preamp is faulty, so Im going to get A) a new bass or B ) a refund.

Edited by Musicman20

It's possible to miss it then, I haven't had the 5 apart at all yet but it's quiet at all volumes. It's my main bass at the moment but I'm missing using my pre EB, Sensible choice would be to sell all three for a combined £3'500 ish and buy a ClassicRay5 instead and bank the difference, More likely option will be to save up and buy a second hand Classic5 maybe next year :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1222639' date='May 6 2011, 09:40 PM']The mute pop may be normal[/quote]

I don't think so.

I don't think it would be acceptable on an amp of this quality/price.

My RH450 is certainly pop-less.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1222661' date='May 6 2011, 10:09 PM']I have never known any more silent basses than single pup Rays even at high volumes with the treble boost up they are fairly hiss free. I presume the earth is behind the bridge as normal but I have never took one off (never needed too) I bet thats all it is , Bridge off, bend the wire over double and move it to a fresh position to make a new contact, Job done. :) The shielding paint wouldnt of been missed surely? The earth wire could of sunk into the paint finish between QC and you receiving it in fairness I have seen that before but the tech should of sorted it really either way.[/quote]

My 2002 Stingray has no shielding paint. Cavity control is clean. It is quiet too. :)

May be worth checking the ground cable from the bridge is actually grounded/touching the bridge.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' post='1223161' date='May 7 2011, 01:20 PM']May be worth checking the ground cable from the bridge is actually grounded/touching the bridge.[/quote]

Thats what I think but it would mean Gareth taking the bridge off to check which until any arguments are sorted might be best left alone (I know me and you would of had it in bits by now in fact you would of de fretted it and put a john east in too :) )

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1223187' date='May 7 2011, 01:45 PM']Thats what I think but it would mean Gareth taking the bridge off to check which until any arguments are sorted might be best left alone (I know me and you would of had it in bits by now in fact you would of de fretted it and put a john east in too :) )[/quote]

ha ha :) not sure about defretting it, but I think I'd have certainly opened it up. No need to lift the bridge, just get the multimeter out and check for continuity between the bridge and the ground in the control cavity.

Speaking of defretting Stingrays... you know how I took that blue OLP, defretted it, put the 2EQ preamp from my Stingray and a Nordstrand pickup... Now I'm looking at every "for sale" ad that mentions Stingray and fretlessness. This OLP is sweet but it is not cutting it. So if you see any cool ones around... :lol:
There's actually a nice 3EQ honeyburst/rosewood on the FS section right now... tempting, although not a big fan of honeyburst. Also a lined white fretless SR5... yum :D