Why become a member? ×

Anyone got a 12 string bass?

Wolverinebass

I've been playing 8 string bass for a year or so and am seriously thinking about stepping up to 12 string bass. Plus as one is a Kings X/Doug Pinnick fan I've always fancied it.

Now, I appreciate that there aren't many 12 strings on the market and most are not manufactured in the UK or even the EU for that matter. The question is, is there anyone on this forum got one and if so, what do you think of it? Why did you go for say a Hamer or a Dean or whatever you've got?

Now I appreciate, that there are a lot of folk who think that even a 5 string is sacrelige (I don't subscribe to that view myself), but I'm quite interested in folk's views.

This has of course nothing to do with meeting Doug Pinnick after Kings X's gig in Camden last week... :)

I had two - A Carlo Robelli and a Tennessee.

The Carlo Robelli was the house brand for Sam Ash or something like that in the US but it was made in the same factory as Deans and Galvestons. Solid with a flame maple top.

The Tennessee was a semi and possibly made in the same factory as the Waterstones - slightly deeper than those.

8s are fun, I remember Lee Ritenour's bass player using one live but 12vers are crazy mad mental. There is a huge difference between them. If you tune one of the octave strings slightly sharp or flat you get an amazing chorus effect.

The biggest thing you need to be able to do is play your notes sparingly - I have a tendency to be all over the shop at times and this doesn't suit the 12ver. Play too quickly and fancy and you'll end up sounding like you've thrown the bass downstairs while plugged in.

When I got my 12ver I used it with the rock band for the entire set. I just couldn't put it down.

I really wish I'd kept the Carlo Robelli. I will get another 12ver at some point, either another one of those if I can find one of one of the Korean (I think) made Hamer B12s. The Daddy is the Chandler but I'd take a Hamer B12A any day of the week.

The last time I heard, Doug had a specially made Yamaha 12ver.

Edited by Delberthot

I used to have one of the Hamer CH12 import basses (one of the early Korean ones).
It was a really good bass but obviously not as good as a US Hamer. The newer import models (I think they have "XT" on the truss rod cover) are made in China and are not meant to be anywhere near as good.

I loved it - it was surprisingly easy to play and sounded awesome. I really regret selling it.
I'm a serious Hamer nut anyway (had loads of USA Hamer guitars over the years) & so very biased but Hamer is THE 12 string bass IMO.

I don't own one but I've tried the Dean on several occasions and not been very impressed.

And comparing my Carlo Robelli 8-string to the Dean 8-strings if the CR 12-string is as good as the 8-string it will be a far better buy than the Dean since IMO they are just as good and about a quarter of the price.

If I had the money I'd be checking out the Chandler that's been on eBay for the last few months.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1202565' date='Apr 17 2011, 01:01 PM']If I had the money I'd be checking out the Chandler that's been on eBay for the last few months.[/quote]
Yes, that's a beautiful bass.
I'm surprised nobody has bought it, but I guess it's pretty limited in it's appeal.