Why become a member? ×

Yammy 775 active elecs

LITTLEWING

Just out of curiosity, someone mentioned a fault with the Yamaha RBX 775 when it came out a while back. I've just acquired one, and when swithced to active the volume does volume and the tone does tone but with more oomph. Is this what it does or is there something more to be had ? I'm not complaining, it sounds bloody awesome even in passive mode, and that neck - soooo gawjuss !!

[quote name='LITTLEWING' post='1201663' date='Apr 16 2011, 11:03 AM']Just out of curiosity, someone mentioned a fault with the Yamaha RBX 775 when it came out a while back. I've just acquired one, and when swithced to active the volume does volume and the tone does tone but with more oomph. Is this what it does or is there something more to be had ? I'm not complaining, it sounds bloody awesome even in passive mode, and that neck - soooo gawjuss !![/quote]

Nothing wrong with that - it's exactly what it's supposed to do. :)

In simplistic and technically nonchalent terms, a passive bass works by cutting frequencies and an active bass works by boosting frequencies.

[quote name='icastle' post='1201678' date='Apr 16 2011, 11:14 AM']Nothing wrong with that - it's exactly what it's supposed to do. :)

In simplistic and technically nonchalent terms, a passive bass works by cutting frequencies and an active bass works by boosting frequencies.[/quote]

Cheers for that. I have an RBX375 which has separate bass and treble eq's, I just wondered if the 775 was intended to to anything else that I was missing out on. NOT that it needs it. I have to say, it's the best bass I've owned to date.

[quote name='LITTLEWING' post='1201739' date='Apr 16 2011, 12:24 PM']Cheers for that. I have an RBX375 which has separate bass and treble eq's, I just wondered if the 775 was intended to to anything else that I was missing out on. NOT that it needs it. I have to say, it's the best bass I've owned to date.[/quote]

Nope, I don't think you're missing out on anything. :)

There's no real detailed info about the 775, other than the usual stuff, but they're very similar to the 375 looking at the specs.
I'd guess that the 775 and 375 being so similar to each other is what led to Yamaha discontinuing the 775.

wiring issues.....as far as I know, some very early 374's and 774's so I presume 375's and 775's had a wiring fault, but this mearly made the battery go flat as the EQ was never off.

...the action of plugging the jack plug into the bass turns the EQ circuit on and off on the Yams (as for most!)....very few were wired incorrectly but the a lot was made of it across the pond, presumably 'cos as it was yamaha this type of thing is quite rare?....this a few years ago, early noughties?

The switch is supposed to be a mid boost. There is no fault with them, they work as designed ! It's an active bass but only the boost switch is an active control, it's not possible to turn down anything but the treble on a standard pot (no centre point).

[quote name='LITTLEWING' post='1201663' date='Apr 16 2011, 11:03 AM']I'm not complaining, it sounds bloody awesome even in passive mode, and that neck - soooo gawjuss !![/quote]
I hear ya. My RBX765A has the most comfortable neck of any 5 I've ever played.
Yamaha basses are wonderful.