Why become a member? ×

what is this amazing looking bass???

mcnach

a friend pointed out to this very old video of Paco de Lucia, a spanish flamenco guitarist playing one of his lightish radio-friendly songs from 1976...

but what got my attention was the bass, shown at the beginning of the clip.

Beauty.

What is it?

EDIT:

:)
yep, I'll probably get more useful replies if I remember to add the link!

here it is:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oyhlad64-s"]Youtube link[/url]

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1200738' date='Apr 15 2011, 02:30 PM']I see no links and cannot watch youtube vids in my currently location, but I have an awful feeling it's going to be a disappointment when I finally see this bass - unless it's a banana shaped bass :)[/quote]
No banana, it's a Gibson Ripper shaped bass.

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1200738' date='Apr 15 2011, 02:30 PM']I see no links and cannot watch youtube vids in my currently location, but I have an awful feeling it's going to be a disappointment when I finally see this bass - unless it's a banana shaped bass :)[/quote]

I've had a bass neck shaped like a banana.... believe me, that wasn't too impressive. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1200721' date='Apr 15 2011, 02:19 PM']My psychic powers relied on Google, by the way:

That the right clip?[/quote]

You nailed it!!! I'm impressed.

I'll PM you now about lottery numbers... or, just reply directly, no need to send you a PM since you already know what I'm going to ask... :)

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='1200871' date='Apr 15 2011, 03:52 PM']Gotta love Paco De Lucia. It was his brother who was the bass player in his band if I remember correctly. Never liked the look of the Gibson basses myself but played a stunning fretless one once. It sounded as big as a house.[/quote]
I had a fretless Ripper for a while. It did make a big sound.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1200716' date='Apr 15 2011, 02:16 PM']My psychic powers tell me it's a Gibson...

Quite possibly a Ripper...[/quote]
My very first bass as a bass player* (circa '92). I loved it... it got stolen from our rehearsal rooms. :)

*I had a Fender P for dicking about on in the early '80's when I was into mainly guitars.... which I stupidly gave away to a mate because I wasn't really interested in bass back then. :)