Why become a member? ×

Harmonics - whats the key........

blind pilot

Ok Doddy, do have a fairly fresh set of s/steel rounds on, will try the bridge pick up too, I normally favour the neck as it gives me the "fatter" tone.

I do use a pick, have noticed over the past year or so, I am favouring a thicker pick for more attack.

I have just put an artec SE3Pa in my Ibanez, will also try with this, as hopefully will have more control over my mids!

understood re compressor too!

Thing is my guitarist loves my tone, and tells my the Tool stuff I play sounds pretty spot on, but I feel I am lacking, especially with Justins "gritty" tone on Vicarious and this one, Maybe I am being too(L) anal! lol

[quote name='blind pilot' post='1200412' date='Apr 15 2011, 10:57 AM']Thing is my guitarist loves my tone, and tells my the Tool stuff I play sounds pretty spot on, but I feel I am lacking, especially with Justins "gritty" tone on Vicarious and this one, Maybe I am being too(L) anal! lol[/quote]

There's nothing wrong with having something to aim for! :) Being a bit of a Tool fan myself I've learnt a lot of Lateralus and Aenima but I always felt that the lack of a Wal hindered getting that tone bang on. But that's not to say you can't get pretty near to it with a bit of tweaking and careful pedal choice. My favourite Tool tune to play on bass is still 46 & 2, that polyrhythm breakdown puts a smile on my face every time I played along to Danny's incredible beats!

I know what you are saying, I have had lots of chats, about JC's Tone, and a lot does come from the Wal, but 46&2 was recorded with a stingray so I am told. Dannys beats are awesome, Our (new) drummer is trying to get his head around Lateralus, where I am 6/8 and he is 5/8.

There is some good footage on youtube of Danny talking about polyrythms, and how he was influenced by King crimson etc.

I am a MEGA tool fan, at the mo we are jamming/playing: sober,prison sex,aenima,stinkfist,46&2,right in two,vicarious,schism,Parabola,Lateralus, will be adding the pot too I think.

We are fast becoming a Tool tribute act lol!

I found the best pedal for me was the Sansamp Bddi, got me close to the tone. but sometimes, I just need either more bottom or more grit, I am going to try and bi-amp, and run my dirt though antother rig. I relly want an effect to add that grit that is so promonant on vicarious/right in two!.

[quote name='Wil' post='1200446' date='Apr 15 2011, 11:13 AM']A friend of mine who is a big Tool fan apparently gets a very good approximation of the Tool sound with a G&L L2000. I guess the pickup configuration is in the Wal ballpark.[/quote]

That is not the first time I have heard that. Along with a Peavey T40 as well, I think I REALLY need to try a G&L out!

Hey Blind Pilot! - As much as the above EQ / Compression advice will help to accentuate harmonics - the first place to start is working acoustically with the bass to get those harmonics ringing out loudly.

New strings, preferably roundwound - and brighter sounding the better is very helpful. As suggested in a post above, if you pluck closer to the bridge along the length of the string, the tension is higher and thus you can pluck harder, which in turn will give you a louder note. However, your left hand technique I guess is counter intuitive - whilst you want as much volume from as little string movement on your right hand (picking harder) - your left hand technique needs to be a bit more delicate. You only need to touch the harmonic node on the string lightly - and for most people remove the left hand finger as soon as you have plucked the note - though as you become more skilled at only touching the node, it's possible to leave your finger on it longer without killing the note too much - which is great for harmonic arpeggios.

Spend time locating the exact point on the string that the pad of your finger produces the clearest note. Remember, you only have to move a few millimetres each side of that point and you could kill the harmonic altogether. You've probably already discovered that over the top of the 4th 5th 7th 9th and 12th frets and their related frets an octave above the harmonics are easy to get to ring out. Make up a little exercise for playing as many of these in a little tune or something to get used to the change of position and still maintain a good strong harmonic sound - again acoustically. Then when you are happy that they sound good see what effect plugging in to an amp has. It all starts in the fingers :) - You may find that your gear (especially if it's just a 15" speaker for example) will have a hard time produce loud harmonics as the top end roll off will not accommodate those high frequencies.

Hope this helps!

Doooooooooooooooooooooooood

Hey Dooooooooood, some sound advice there thanks, I was wondering how much would be coming from my Bass, My Dean is pretty much a cheap bass, in reality, so I suspect its starting here. I do seem to be ok at hitting the right place on the string, but they seem to fade out pretty fast, which is pain when I am trying to use the Whammy to bend between the harmony!

As for practising, I have been playing around with amazing grace using harmonics, just like Mr Wooten lol (well kind off).

I do think I will try out a G&L though, as I keep hearing they can be very Wall'ish in tone!

Cheers Y'all!

• 1 month later...

Just to bring this one back, I had an artec SE3P-a laying around, so I hooked that up in my Ibanez Soundgear, talk about transformation!

It has given the bass so much more tonally, using that the harmonics ring out forever, and with the BDdi, its getting really close to JC's gritty sound.

I am now more sure than ever if I Bi-amp, and run one clean channel and a dirty channel (like the turbo rat at low gain) I would be very close!

Happy days! :lol: :) :) :D

Yep. I have a Dean, and the day I got a Warwick my harmonic life became easier. FWIW make sure your bass is set up right, even if it's 'cheap' it can still do the job but make sure your intonation is spot on perfect, saddles are high enough to avoid any fret buzz etc. Also, what a song, so much fun to play all of it.

@crez: great shout, unbelievable clarity on a status, never heard anything like them before.
As my mate's dad once said to me about his gorgeous piece of graphite, it has the clearest tone of any bass he's played (and he's been playing over 40 years), which is great for the sound, but means your mistakes are shown up instantly!