Why become a member? ×

effects chain

beastie

Hi all
I have the following effects pedals and would like some info on the basic running order off these pedals all i do know is the multicomp and the metaldrive ebs recomend it to be first in the chain because of the gain controls hear are the pedals in no peticulaur order
ebs pedals all true bypass
dynaverb /unichourus / tremlo /metaldrive /octave /multicomp
electro harmonix
memory boy deluxe true bypass
line six expression pedal
power supply is modtone power plant

Thanks
Gary

The general idea I follow is Compressor > Drive/Distortion > Modulation (chorus/phaser/tremolo that kinda thing) > Delay/Reverb. I don't use an expression pedal but if it was for Wah or Volume i'd put it first. Nothing is set in stone though and people do it all kinds of ways. So by all means play around with it and see what works best for you :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1197731' date='Apr 13 2011, 06:18 AM']The general idea I follow is Compressor > Drive/Distortion > Modulation (chorus/phaser/tremolo that kinda thing) > Delay/Reverb. I don't use an expression pedal but if it was for Wah or Volume i'd put it first. Nothing is set in stone though and people do it all kinds of ways. So by all means play around with it and see what works best for you :)[/quote]
thanks for that reply compressor atthe amp end or guitar end off chain

personally I put the compressor first, directly after the bass but I never claim to be the authority on effects chains and things. People put them in different places for different reasons. Personally I use heavy compression to even out my dynamics, and then put all my other effects after it. Reason for that being that I believe using compression afterwards can 'clean up' effects like distortion too much. That could just be because of how heavily I compress the sound though :)

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='paul_5' post='1197741' date='Apr 13 2011, 07:19 AM']personally i'd put pedals that need to 'track' such as octave or synth stuff as close to the bass to give it a fighting chance. It's up to yot whether you put this pre or post compressor.[/quote]
thanks guys it seems i have alot of chocies and it comes down to your own preferance as there are no hard and fast rules i see what you mean by compression going nearest the bass to flatten out that overall sound dont do a lot off slap bass so compression is only used in moderation and has for the track pedals i also see what you mean as the compressor will squeese the sound from these pedals i do use a bit off chourus and reverb all the time so they are the main pedals in the arsenal the rest are only used in moderation

With regards to compression, I put mine BEFORE my octaver to help its' tracking. Others prefer it at the end of the chain to help limit peaks from filter effects, some envelopes can have vicious spikes that could potentially damage speakers, especially as envelope effects respond very dynamically to varying input levels and by compressing the signal before it hits the filter it removes playing dynamics, as the compressor feeds it a much tighter [i]compressed[/i] signal, which results in the not envelope being triggered in the same way, becoming far more controlled and uniform.