Why become a member? ×

Pain in the back on my plucking hand

niceguyhomer

I had exactly the same thing happen to me when I made the switch. My theory is that it had something to do with my right hand technique making a subtle change due to moving up and down the strings more often, and the tighter string spacing. It stopped after a relatively short time, but for now I'd suggest spending a little more time on warm ups during your practice sessions until this stops happening. A little bit of discomfort is normal if you're pushing yourself, especially if you're playing fast! But if it actually causes you pain you should stop playing and rest in case you end up really hurting yourself.

Anyways don't let it get in the way of you enjoying your new approach to the bass. Good luck :)

Edited by chrismuzz

You need to look at your hand position. Did it change when you started with the new bass? Are you playing flat or is the bass angled up? Do you use "floating thumb"? Is this bass higher up on your chest? Is your hand tenser when you play the 6 string?

Try lowering the bass 6" and playing with a higher angle. Turn the amp up and play with a lighter touch.

All good stuff fellas - thanks :)

I have been playing with the bass higher up to make fretting easier and to protect my lower back but I could lower the position of the bass a bit. I wouldn't say my touch has changed - I do play with a light touch but I dare say my hand is a bit more tense.

I used to do warm-up exercises but stopped for some reason that I can't remember - I'll probably start again cos I think it's more important with this kind of bass.

As you've raised the height,is your arm resting on the body of the bass and is your wrist at a sharper angle than normal?
Also,are you keeping your rhumb anchored,thereby stretching to much,or are you moving up and down the strings?
You shouldn't be feeling pain when you play. If it's only started since changing to the six,it means you must have changed your positioning somewhere. It should never hurt your arm-if it does it needs sorting our.
No pain,no gain isn't applicable to bass playing-if it hurts even slightly,it's bad.