Why become a member? ×

My '63 P bass

Clarky

Nice one Clarky,looks peachy.
I couldnt possibly afford a yob bass but might be tempted into a year of my sons birth(1975) be something nice to leave him after I shrug off my mortal coil.
Si's a top bloke for finding stuff,he's made quite a few bc ers happy bunnies.

[quote name='Sibob' post='1197067' date='Apr 12 2011, 05:27 PM']Naaa, leave it on and get it played...what's gonna happen to it?, it's already knackered lol.
If you do take it off, as mentioned earlier, screw it to something, otherwise it'll shrink more....a good reason to just leave it on I think

Si[/quote]

+1
If you do replace the pickguard - it's vital that you store it screwed to a flat piece of wood. And then keep it somewhere dark...

Lovely bass. You just can't top a pre-CBS Precision.

[quote name='99ster' post='1202816' date='Apr 17 2011, 06:30 PM']+1
If you do replace the pickguard - it's vital that you store it screwed to a flat piece of wood. And then keep it somewhere dark...

Lovely bass. You just can't top a pre-CBS Precision.[/quote]

+1 to both, my pickguard has the profile of the alps and is about 2mm short of each screw hole. Looks magical though, and smells like it's been chain smoking 80 tabs with the odd bottle of JD in there for good measure every day for 46 years!

And to think I almost sold it the other day :)

In the end I decided the original tort guard was too impractical (what you couldn't see from photos was how much it arched outwards along the top surface, leading to a sharp edge to catch palm or fingers on). Here it is with a celluloid tort guard I bought from the US, made in the early 1990s and nicely patinated and yellowed at the edges. Its much easier to play the bass now and - with La Bella Standard Flats on it now - is exactly how I want it. Just gorgeous and (that over-used phrase but true since my Y-O-B can't change!) a definite keeper

photo removed and transferred to Flickr (click on link in my sig below)

Edited by Clarky