Why become a member? ×

Lightning Bolt.

Sawtooth

Who says music has to have a melody? Every element of sonic manipulations is equally valid as a compositional focus.

You shouldn't listen to Lightning Bolt if what you like in music is a pretty melody and gentle timbre, but if you want to accept music as art, there's a lot to enjoy! :)

[quote name='Oscar South' post='1194844' date='Apr 10 2011, 06:03 PM']There are two types of people in this world; those who like art who's preconceptions they agree with, and those who enjoy good art.[/quote]
[quote name='Oscar South' post='1194864' date='Apr 10 2011, 06:13 PM']You shouldn't listen to Lightning Bolt if what you like in music is a pretty melody and gentle timbre, but if you want to accept music as art, there's a lot to enjoy! :)[/quote]

My hypothesis based on these comments is....

Because I don't like this particular brand of music and you do,I do not appreciate music as art.

That's the impression I get.Am I right?

I watched those clips,and thought that it was a couple of young guys who probably hadn't been playing for long and were playing in front of their mates. To me it sounded sloppy and amateurish.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1195077' date='Apr 10 2011, 09:17 PM']My hypothesis based on these comments is....

Because I don't like this particular brand of music and you do,I do not appreciate music as art.

That's the impression I get.Am I right?

I watched those clips,and thought that it was a couple of young guys who probably hadn't been playing for long and were playing in front of their mates. To me it sounded sloppy and amateurish.[/quote]
Yep, I think they sound sloppy and amateurish as well.

But then again, if I could have recorded one song it would be The Kingsmen's version of Louie Louie. That's as sloppy and amateurish as they come. Sometimes it's just part of the aesthetic. :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='1195077' date='Apr 10 2011, 09:17 PM']I watched those clips,and thought that it was a couple of young guys who probably hadn't been playing for long and were playing in front of their mates. To me it sounded sloppy and amateurish.[/quote]

Much as I respect (and I suppose, desire, the more I learn) the beauty and complexity of musical theory and rhythmical concepts, I feel the more you learn, the more you analyze and criticise?
I sometimes feel that you somehow lose that gut instinct and raw unabbreviated passion for 'sound'.

At the end of it all - if a tune excites you, you ain't thinking about the mathematics.

[quote name='Sawtooth' post='1195153' date='Apr 10 2011, 10:23 PM']Much as I respect (and I suppose, desire, the more I learn) the beauty and complexity of musical theory and rhythmical concepts, I feel the more you learn, the more you analyze and criticise?
I sometimes feel that you somehow lose that gut instinct and raw unabbreviated passion for 'sound'.

At the end of it all - if a tune excites you, you ain't thinking about the mathematics.[/quote]

I agree with the fact that it excites you,that's great. No argument there.
I don't agree with the fact that you lose your gut instincts and passion the more you learn. There are bands that I love that are a long way from being the best musicians but I totally dig the music.
The fact is some stuff excites you and some stuff doesn't. In the case of Lightning Bolt,I heard nothing that I liked on either a musical or guttural level.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1195179' date='Apr 10 2011, 10:49 PM']There are bands that I love that are a long way from being the best musicians but I totally dig the music.
The fact is some stuff excites you and some stuff doesn't. In the case of Lightning Bolt,I heard nothing that I liked on either a musical or guttural level.[/quote]

A fair point and well made. Each to their own.

I'm a fairly new contributor to this forum, but I have always noticed and respected your opinions on here,
but always thought that they were maybe biased towards the theoretical point of veiw.

"There are bands that I love that are a long way from being the best musicians but I totally dig the music."

- please share :) I really would like to hear them.

Edit: please excuse my inane statement above ^^^.

Edited by Sawtooth

I know what mean. I love music that's technical and full of great chops,but conversely one of my favourite bands is Ween,who are a total love/hate band. Some of their stuff is really out there and rough as hell,but it just clicked with me for some reason. In the same way that I when I listen to bands like the Spin Doctors or Barenaked Ladies,I get the same feelings as when I was 12 or 13 and didn't even play an instrument.I never feel like picking up an instrument up and studying them-I just listen and dig it.

Don't worry....it wasn't an inane statement-I kind of get pegged as a technical jazzer,but that's only part of what I like and do. :)

Each to their own but as an almost OAP I come from a different generation. My parents were into Sinatra, Andy Williams etc' and I used to think WTF? :)

Now I never criticise anyone's taste, it's such a personal thing. :)

[quote name='grahamd' post='1195594' date='Apr 11 2011, 12:26 PM']Fantastic band, real visceral rocknroll energy. Love DFA 1979 too (haven't they reformed?)[/quote]

I'm not sure if DFA have officially reformed, but at SXSW a few weeks ago they played a surprise set and caused a riot because of the amount of people that wanted to see them!