Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT3 PRO/410HLF SVT problems

MatthewKeys

No, I meant play music through your cab and see how it sounds and if the tweeter knob does anything.

The 410HLF is a very unusual sounding cab - tons of bottom, not much midrange and then the tweeter for the treble. I can't think of another cab on the market that sounds like it, regardless of speaker configuration.

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1208420' date='Apr 22 2011, 04:02 PM']Really?

I just want to fix it so it's working properly then sell it.

Are 6x10s and 8x10's less bass heavy? Or are all Ampeg cabinets like that.

Thanks[/quote]

Well to cut a long journey short you are better off taking it to someone who will be able to see and the tell you if all is kosher.

From what I've read on the thread the cab is more Likely fine, you just arnt digging it's voice to well and arnt to sure how to EQ it to fit what you want it to do.
The SVT-3 pro IMO sounded great and I kept it flat with tube gain off (cheers for clearing that up goingdownslow)
However I've always used Barefaced cabs with have great warm but very even sound.

If it true this cab has little to no mids crank the mids up?

If I remember one of Alexs columns the meat of a bass is around 400hz, I maybe wrong though.

Alex`s comments mirror many on here, and on T***bass - the SVT 410HLF is reported to be very bottom-endy, without too much else going on. Though with the vast eq capability of the SVT3PRO, I`m surprised it can`t be remedied.

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1210220' date='Apr 24 2011, 06:32 PM']Looks like it's going to cost £50 just to get this cabinet inspected by the guys at the surrey amp hospital... I can't even imagine how expensive the actual repair will be.

Does anyone want to buy this broken cabinet off me? :)[/quote]

Not even sure it's broke.
Better off shopping around to see if someone can check it for free. I still standby that it's fine you just need to attack the thing with everything flat and start EQing from there, even the active EQ on the bass guitar itself. Make sure you set the input gain right as the head should be very mid range focused. (is the deep switch in?"

It shOuld turn out that there is loads of bottom and some shrill highs.
Ifso you want to add some high mids a little low mids and cut some bass.

[quote name='paulwillson' post='1211565' date='Apr 26 2011, 11:42 AM']try adding another cab i have an svt3 too, at 8 ohms it can get lost in the mix sometimes in a band setting but running it at 4 ohms (svt classic 410 and 210) it shits over everything![/quote]

@Primebass.. Maybe I am not describing how awful the cabinet sounds well enough! Theres something wrong with the tweeter as it's not functioning properly.. but about the 4 10s that is yet to be confirmed.

@Paul, Yeah my cabinet atm is 4 ohms, it's the 410Hlf. But I was thinking of getting an 8x10 or a 6x10 and seeing how that sounds with it.

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap checkup on my cabinet?

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1213011' date='Apr 27 2011, 07:09 PM']@Primebass.. Maybe I am not describing how awful the cabinet sounds well enough! Theres something wrong with the tweeter as it's not functioning properly.. but about the 4 10s that is yet to be confirmed.

@Paul, Yeah my cabinet atm is 4 ohms, it's the 410Hlf. But I was thinking of getting an 8x10 or a 6x10 and seeing how that sounds with it.

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap checkup on my cabinet?[/quote]

Hmmm :/

Even without a tweeter the cab should still be pumping out some highs at around the 2khz mark.
If you could post some kind of video or something I dont know.

Usually if I have an issue I can't fix myself I just take it to my local stores as they'll usually check it for free and then if it's bust offer to fix it with a cost of labour plus parts.

Are the speakers the originals?

If this cab is really sounding that bad, it may be that there have been replacement/rubbish units put in there.

As said, whilst the tweeter does put some crispness to the sound, running any cab without the tweeter will still give some highs. This all seems strange to me.

I`d definately try using a different amp through the cab. The SVT3-PRO has such a wide range of sounds, that if a different amp sounds ok through the cab, the problem may be with the amp. Likewise, try the amp through a different cab, same thing.

I use this cab.................with various heads, Ampeg B2RE, Trace, iAmp. Can get any sound I want with any of these heads, it's certainly got a lot of bottom end, but to say that's all it can do is in my experience just not true. I think it is a great cab.

Sounds like there has already been some DIY repairs badly done to this cab, but could probably be fixed easily by someone who knows what they are doing.

I'd persevere a little more, it's a great cab.

S

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1213533' date='Apr 28 2011, 09:18 AM']Hmmm :/

Even without a tweeter the cab should still be pumping out some highs at around the 2khz mark.
If you could post some kind of video or something I dont know.

Usually if I have an issue I can't fix myself I just take it to my local stores as they'll usually check it for free and then if it's bust offer to fix it with a cost of labour plus parts.[/quote]

Yep, not many highs coming from the 10 inch speakers. I don't think my local music store would know what to do with a problem like this, but I could always take the head in and try it on a cab.

I emailed the guy at the amphospital in surrey, and he said it could be possible that the speakers could be over-dissipated. But he would need to test it to say for certain, which would cost £50.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1213604' date='Apr 28 2011, 10:30 AM']Are the speakers the originals?

If this cab is really sounding that bad, it may be that there have been replacement/rubbish units put in there.

As said, whilst the tweeter does put some crispness to the sound, running any cab without the tweeter will still give some highs. This all seems strange to me.

I`d definately try using a different amp through the cab. The SVT3-PRO has such a wide range of sounds, that if a different amp sounds ok through the cab, the problem may be with the amp. Likewise, try the amp through a different cab, same thing.[/quote]

Hey, to be honest I really don't know whether the speakers are originals but I would assume they are. I bought it off a basschatter after the summer; it's one of the american made ones. I think it's about 5 years old. And yes I will be able to test my head on a different cab in my local music store, but I don't know if they would let me take the cabinet in and try a head.

Be worth a mail to the member who sold you it. If it isn't standard, been dicked with and the seller didn't make you aware of any changes when buying?? Then, maybe he/she will split difference with repairs? Better still pay all repairs or refund you.

andy

Edited by andy67