Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

House Of Fun (Playalong)

Hot Tub

[quote name='SteveK' post='1191494' date='Apr 7 2011, 10:35 AM']I'm on my laptop, so can't be sure of the little details, but, you seem to be playing it ok

However, I couldn't listen to much as your tuning is well adrift.[/quote]

=1, although your timing is a little adrift too.

The right notes in the right order though, as far as I can tell. :)

Thanks guys! :)

Re the tuning thing - it's bizarre. My tuning is spot-on, and all the info I can find shows the song starting D then A, etc., but you're right, it just doesn't sound correct. Weird.

Edited by Hot Tub

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='1192996' date='Apr 8 2011, 03:57 PM']Thanks guys! :)

Re the tuning thing - it's bizarre. My tuning is spot-on, and all the info I can find shows the song starting A then D, etc., but you're right, it just doesn't sound correct. Weird.[/quote]
You may be in tune, but the track may not. Remember, it was common practice to speed up a track after recording.

EDIT: Just thought, you may be too young to remember analogue tape. :)
Engineers/producers would often speed up a tape after recording. It would add a little extra life, sparkle and tightness to the sound. Bit of a bugger when you're tuned to A440 :lol:

Edited by SteveK

The tuning sounds out when you're playing up the neck. When you're lower down it's OK. I wonder if your bridge is adjusted properly. Have you tried checking your tuning at the octave? I could be completely wrong though....

Think I've solved the tuning issue. Just to be sure, I double checked my tuning and intonation, and as I suspected it's spot on.

As I posted earlier, everything I can find on the song suggests that it's in the key of D....

And it is.... if you tune a half step down!

In standard tuning with A=440 it's in D#

Thanks also for the comments on timing etc., I'm working on polishing it up a bit!

:)

[quote name='SteveK' post='1193035' date='Apr 8 2011, 04:24 PM']EDIT: Just thought, you may be too young to remember analogue tape. :)[/quote]

You're absolutely right mate! Just saw this after I'd updated the thread - sorry!

As for being too young....??? <ahem> I wish....!

:)

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1194942' date='Apr 10 2011, 07:17 PM']I'm worried that you didn't realise you were out of tune when you were recording it.[/quote]
The op put too much reliance on what the dial said - not enough reliance on what his ears said.
Bottom line?...You've got to trust your ears.