Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Acoustic Image Focus 2 (S2) Head - £380

wateroftyne

Hi all

The time has come to let go of old faithful:

(Note: The photo above is the 2R, which has on-board effects. Mine looks pretty much the same, less a couple of knobs)

I've had this amp for about four years, and it's been gigged very, very regularly. It's never let me down.

Here's the specs:

- Two (instrument plus mic) channels
- 300 Watts into 8 ohms, 600 watts into 4-ohm minimum load), high-fidelity, full-range
- High and low-Z instrument inputs, four-band EQ, effects loop, direct out with ground lift
- Phantom mic power
- Dual voltage (115V/230V) operation
- Cigar box size, weighs just 4 lbs
- Comes with fitted padded case

There's a lot written about these amps all over t'internets, so I'll not bore you with too much marketing speak! Try the likes of Talkbass for starters.

This amp amplifies what you put in.. it has an almost completely flat response. I usually used mine via a SABDDI or EBS Microbass II into the mic channel (the amp provides phantom power!). Some people may prefer to run direct and keep the signal clean. It's loud, loads of headroom, and it weighs about the same as the sandwich I've just had for lunch. Marvellous.

It's a bit pointless posting sound clips, 'cos it sounds exactly like what you put in, but...

[url="http://www.jollybeggars.co.uk/stuff/motrr.mp3"]Here's an mp3 [/url]of my fretless Precision, via an EBS MicroBass II, with a mic on the cab and a little bit of DI mixed in.

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-IwoghU9Vrg"]Here's a video clip[/url] from a gig where I used my fretted Precision via a SABDDI. What you can hear is my backline.. no PA support whatsever.

I like a thumpy flatwound tone, but like I say you get out of it what you put in, only louder.

It's in excellent condition. The three phantom power & EQ push-switches have just been upgraded with replacements sent to me under warranty by AI, as they were a little hit & miss to engage. They now work perfectly. The amp is entirely issue-free. UPDATE: One of the switch-covers is missing - I took it off a while ago, so I didn't knock it and switch off the phantom power in the middle of a gig. I've come to put it back on... and it's gone. Dunno where it is. You can still engage the switch, though. AI will probably post a replacement our FOC... they're like that.

Bought new via Bob Gollihur, UK RRP at the time was over £1200. It has a transferrable lifetime warranty from AI.

I would also consider some sort of trade for a smaller head with a tube in it, like a Genz Neo Pak, Walkabout or similar. I just need something for recording, rehearsing and smaller gigs.

Cheers!

Edited by wateroftyne

Ooo, that is such a quality bit of gear, at a phenomenal price too! I'm extremely tempted to snap this up but reason has prevailed, I have a series III Clarus, I don't need more than one channel and I certainly don't need that much power!

May I ask why you're moving it on? I know you've said you're looking for something for recording and smaller gigs, is this just too much amp for all that?

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='136086' date='Feb 7 2008, 09:38 PM']Ooo, that is such a quality bit of gear, at a phenomenal price too! I'm extremely tempted to snap this up but reason has prevailed, I have a series III Clarus, I don't need more than one channel and I certainly don't need that much power!

May I ask why you're moving it on? I know you've said you're looking for something for recording and smaller gigs, is this just too much amp for all that?

Mark[/quote]

Cheers!

'Why are you moving it on?'.. always a good question!

I've gigged it about three times a week since I got it, and got a lot of compliments about my sound, and lots of astonished looks when I pick it up, pop it in the case and stroll out of the door with it like it was a packet of crisps.

I used to play URB and GB - it was perfect for swapping between them, Now I just need an all-out rock and roll tone. I picked up my Warwick Tubepath a couple of months back, and I'm digging the tubey old-school sound of that... as a result, it's become my back-up. This is a lot of horsepower just to have sitting around, and I'm quite keen on putting together a small old-skool rig for recording and rehearsals. So.. time for a change!

Mrs. WoT thinks I'm insane, but... she doesn't understand me.

Edited by wateroftyne

HI Michael

Well, you've placed me nicely into a quandry here: was thinking of listing my Focus SA (2) power amp ..... but had previously considered adding a Focus 1 or 2 to the SA (as suggested by AI - 'using the Focus SA as a "slave" amp to the Focus 2, and with each amp driving its own speaker; you have doubled the output power and the speaker radiating area which translates to more volume and more headroom').. But, of course, they're hardly ever available (!).
Will have to give it some thought....
How's the FII aesthetically? Mine's about the same age but still looks almost brand-new; the dedicated case/bag and light weight (no bumping and dragging) means it's not really been knocked-about at all.

Cheers

D.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='136086' date='Feb 7 2008, 09:38 PM']Ooo, that is such a quality bit of gear, at a phenomenal price too! I'm extremely tempted to snap this up but reason has prevailed, I have a series III Clarus, I don't need more than one channel and I certainly don't need that much power!

Mark[/quote]

Mark,

Glad you're happy with the Clarus. You may not be aware of it but if you're handy with a soldering iron and a drill you could upgrade this to the two channel version. They use the same circuit board for both amps but only load one channel on this version.

[quote]Mark,

Glad you're happy with the Clarus. You may not be aware of it but if you're handy with a soldering iron and a drill you could upgrade this to the two channel version. They use the same circuit board for both amps but only load one channel on this version.[/quote]

I am very happy with the Clarus, I find it gets me a great clean bass tone without any work. (Pssst, anyone looking at the Focus, it rocks for this very reason and more! don't let it slip away, tis a ridiculously good price for a ridiculously good amp)

That's a very interesting idea! I'd be interested in exactly how to do that for future reference. Though I wouldn't do it at the moment, I don't double and I don't use a backup on gigs. Please let me know exactly how it'd work though!

Mark