Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Newbie Beginner Sticky

JPJ

As a potential db convert, I've been trolling through this section picking up tips and tricks for beginners but it strikes me that it would be useful if some of the more experienced double bass players contributed to a sticky for newbies like me covering things like:

[list]
[*]4/4 vs 3/4?
[*]DB vs EUB?
[*]How/Where to get started?
[*]Buying your first DB/EUB, what to look for, are the cheap as chips Chinese DB's any good etc etc?
[/list]

I've been contemplating giving DB a go for quite a while to replace fretless electric in an acoustic side project and have been tempted by the stagg EUB and similar. Buying the Garage Band app for the iPad has convinced me to give it a go as the DB on there sounds absolutely wicked.

Anybody up for writing a sticky?

Edited by JPJ

[quote name='JPJ' post='1190313' date='Apr 6 2011, 11:42 AM']I've been[u] trolling[/u] through this section picking up tips[/quote]
I think the word you're looking for is trawling :) but yes, i'd agree a sticky would be helpful, even if it just has links to already existing newbie topics.

[quote name='Zach' post='1190402' date='Apr 6 2011, 12:40 PM']I think the word you're looking for is trawling :lol: but yes, i'd agree a sticky would be helpful, even if it just has links to already existing newbie topics.[/quote]

Troll: to fish for by dragging baited hook or lure :) but if your up for starting a sticky on correct usage of the English language......... :)

[quote name='JPJ' post='1190462' date='Apr 6 2011, 01:32 PM']Troll: to fish for by dragging baited hook or lure :) but if your up for starting a sticky on correct usage of the English language......... :)[/quote]

You're both right - but 'trolling' on a forum implies starting a thread for the sole purpose of sh*t-stirring. I'm assuming that's what Zach was correcting you on.

And yep, I'd happily share whatever nuggets I'm collected over the years - if anything to just save someone a few quid and much frustration. Work shall commence shortly!!!

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1190506' date='Apr 6 2011, 02:07 PM']You're both right - but 'trolling' on a forum implies starting a thread for the sole purpose of sh*t-stirring. I'm assuming that's what Zach was correcting you on.[/quote]

Oops, I wasnt aware of the alternate usage! Sorry for that, it was not my intention to $h1t stir.

[quote name='TheRev' post='1190648' date='Apr 6 2011, 04:27 PM']A lot of this stuff is also covered in the Talkbass DB forum - but it admittedly it takes a bit of digging to find what you want.

DB vs EUB? = Can of Worms...... :)[/quote]

Yep, if I had room for a DB (as against having to convert the garage) then I'd go for the DB everytime but what I can read about the Stagg for example appears to give a pretty good starting point for a DB newby at a reasonable price point without the obvious storage problem. Unless of course I'm wrong......

[quote name='JPJ' post='1190657' date='Apr 6 2011, 04:36 PM']Yep, if I had room for a DB (as against having to convert the garage) then I'd go for the DB everytime but what I can read about the Stagg for example appears to give a pretty good starting point for a DB newby at a reasonable price point without the obvious storage problem. Unless of course I'm wrong......[/quote]

You're not. :)

I was in the same situation when I started - wanted a DB but living in a one bed flat on the third floor made it totally impractical.

Hi there,
glad you've decided to try DB/EUB. I've been playing both for some time now and electric bass since electricity was invented. One thing to bear in mind is that DB and EUB are different instruments, have different sounds, responses etc. There are some EUB's that can resemble a DB sound but it's not the same. I use DB for gigs and recordings I can drive to. Surprising how many cars you can fit a DB in. Used to travel with a three piece band including DB in a metro. EUB is much more portable and with hardcase (I use PVC ski case) can travel abroad. Also easier to manage in a loud band environment and can compete with multiple guitars, keys drums etc. Have a go with the Stagg bass, make sure you use the side support as it stops the thing from spinning around. Personally I find the sound of these a bit thin and can't get any quality bottom end but they are the cheap end of the market. I am happy with an old Aria Lite One which to me feels and plays much better. Another option if you're going down the acoustic route is an acoustic bass - again you get what you pay for so you need to try them out and make sure your ears and fingers are happy. I regularly use a short scale tanglewood with groundwound strings which cuts through the mix nicely without being too toppy or clanky. I also use a fretless Eko acoustic which has a great warm sound all of its own. Don't buy till you try. Good luck.

[quote name='anthonybass' post='1191510' date='Apr 7 2011, 10:53 AM']Don't buy till you try. Good luck.[/quote]
I think a problem for most of us who are looking at going down this route for the first time is that we are scared of being a total tool when pretending to know what to look for in a double bass. That is how it is for me. I have no idea except money talks. Where i might be able to spot a deal with an electric bass i could get completely ripped off with a double bass. Then comes the trying it out part - if its not open strings i am in trouble.

[quote name='anthonybass' post='1191510' date='Apr 7 2011, 10:53 AM']Hi there,
glad you've decided to try DB/EUB. I've been playing both for some time now and electric bass since electricity was invented. One thing to bear in mind is that DB and EUB are different instruments, have different sounds, responses etc. There are some EUB's that can resemble a DB sound but it's not the same. I use DB for gigs and recordings I can drive to. Surprising how many cars you can fit a DB in. Used to travel with a three piece band including DB in a metro. EUB is much more portable and with hardcase (I use PVC ski case) can travel abroad. Also easier to manage in a loud band environment and can compete with multiple guitars, keys drums etc. Have a go with the Stagg bass, make sure you use the side support as it stops the thing from spinning around. Personally I find the sound of these a bit thin and can't get any quality bottom end but they are the cheap end of the market. I am happy with an old Aria Lite One which to me feels and plays much better. Another option if you're going down the acoustic route is an acoustic bass - again you get what you pay for so you need to try them out and make sure your ears and fingers are happy. I regularly use a short scale tanglewood with groundwound strings which cuts through the mix nicely without being too toppy or clanky. I also use a fretless Eko acoustic which has a great warm sound all of its own. Don't buy till you try. Good luck.[/quote]

Thanks for this, most helpful. The size problem isnt in transport (a Landrover means there isnt much I cant transport!) but in storage in the house where Mrs JPJ exercises her upperhand ruthlessly :)

I've been checking out the YouTube clips of the Stagg and the Palantino EUB's and as a starting point and as an occassional gigging tool, these seem to do a pretty acceptable DB sound at a very reasonable price point, plus either one would fit easily in my storage cupboard with my five electric basses. I'm such a gearhead that in the event one of these got me into the whole DB thing, then it would probably be replaced by something more expensive (NS WAV etc) in fairly short order. I accept that the notes on the EUB's dont really 'bloom' the way they do on the DB, but for the reasons above, that's a sacrifice I'll have to make. I've tried fretless acoustic bass guitars and they tend to leave me cold as even when amplified, the 'E' string generally lacks authority.

Suffice to say, I'm smitted by the look of the EUB and I feel a imminent purchase is almost inevitable! :)

[quote name='BottomE' post='1191916' date='Apr 7 2011, 04:35 PM']I think a problem for most of us who are looking at going down this route for the first time is that we are scared of being a total tool when pretending to know what to look for in a double bass.[/quote]

Was in your shoes earlier in the year. Finding a hire-now-maybe-buy-it-later scheme was a bit of mind-settler for me - I figured it would give me time to try it out and also get second opinions, all the while knowing that the downside of a bad choice would be limited to the initial hire cost. That, and if I wanted to try out other DB that were on sale, I'd have just that tiny little bit of experience to help out. Human nature being what it is, I've taken a shine to the one I hired anyway.... I reckon it sounds better than another example of the same model I tried in another shop too.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've taken the plunge and bought a Stagg EUB off Ash on this very here forum. Hope to collect it on Saturday and then the fun will begin! Thanks to all for your replies and pm's.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='JPJ' post='1207110' date='Apr 21 2011, 02:28 PM']Well I've taken the plunge and bought a Stagg EUB off Ash on this very here forum. Hope to collect it on Saturday and then the fun will begin! Thanks to all for your replies and pm's.[/quote]

Well after a bit of a delay caused entirely by my insane work schedule I finally managed to get over to Ash's place on Wednesday to collect the Stagg. Wow, am I impressed! The build quality seems spot on and its a lot easier to play than I thought it would be and the tone is very close to the db tone I carry around in my head. I'm surprised how quickly I've been able to adjust to the increased scale length and the fact the action is bass guitar like means no hand aches as of yet.

Can anybody recommend a good tutorial book/dvd for an absolute beginner? I don't want to start with any bad habits so something that covers hand position, fingering etc would be great.

Just to quickly pitch in and say that I support the idea of a 'Newbie Beginner' sticky here on Basschat.

This site is always my first port of call for bass-related stuff - as I'm sure it is for many other people - so I reckon a newbie sticky in the DB forum would get a lot of support. That said, I've always found the folks here to be very helpful indeed! So this certainly isn't a criticism of existing advice given; just that it might be nice to have some of our local expertise in one handy thread for newbies like me.

(not that I even have a DB... I can't justify the expense for a while yet, but it's firmly on my wishlist!)