Why become a member? ×

Sandberg PM 4

jamesugster

I have a Basic PM4 and it's my go to bass, full on P sounds with what actually sounds like a really gurst J bridge p/up (the MM is more towards the bridge than on a MM). Have played a Cali JM4 and that was also really nice. Can't speak highly enough about 'Bergs.

Awesome, just awesome. Obviously it's all subjective but I tried a California PM and IN in a store last year and was blown away! I decided that next time I was able to buy a new decent bass, it was gonna be a Sandberg. That's what led me to buy my Basic 4 recently.

Try one and i'll be very surprised if you don't like it!

The first, ans only Sandberg ive every played was a Black burst PM5 and i loved it. I almost brought it but it had neck issues so i passed but i will have one, one day.
There were a few doing the rounds on here last year IIR, and the custom model with the block inlays is very, very nice.

I love my Sandberg, I've played quite a few high end basses, but nothing has had the sound and feel that my Sandberg JJ5 has. They're made by about 5 people in a work shop from what I've heard, so you have the quality of hand made instruments with rediculously cheap prices.

I'm on the look out for a new bass and I think I'm going to end up with another Sandberg.

[quote name='risingson' post='1190741' date='Apr 6 2011, 05:51 PM']I put off looking at Sandberg's initially because I didn't like the look of them, but I was really stupid to because for the money, you simply cannot get a better bass. They are utterly superb. I would have got one recently had I not just bought a new Lakland.[/quote]

For me its always been the lack for dots or markers on the fretboard thats put me off.

Funny enough in the same day, at the same shop i played my first Sandberg and Lakland, and ended up getting the Lakland.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1190877' date='Apr 6 2011, 07:28 PM']For me its always been the lack for dots or markers on the fretboard thats put me off.

Funny enough in the same day, at the same shop i played my first Sandberg and Lakland, and ended up getting the Lakland.[/quote]

The no markers thing has never for to me but aesthetically I do prefer them definitely. Which Lakland did you opt for Dave?

if you order a Sandberg directly, you can choose to have dots, blocks or whatever you want on the fretboard.

I am currently waiting for my PM4 to be finished and shipped to me and i cant wait!!!! the detail these guys go into is awsome and for the price they wipe the floor with anything around the price range!

TBH though, after i ordered it, i went to Guitar Guitar in Brum and if i hadnt already ordered my 'Berg, i would have left with a Lakland P bass, it was awsome.

[quote name='risingson' post='1191279' date='Apr 6 2011, 11:46 PM']The no markers thing has never for to me but aesthetically I do prefer them definitely. Which Lakland did you opt for Dave?[/quote]

Yeah, its more aesthetics for me. I just think they look plain without the dots.

That day money was no object, i just wanted a good 5 string. I tried everytihng they had in the shop but really fell in love with the PM5. I went back twice to pay it but after seeing the huge gaps under some of the higher frets on the PM5 i ended up getting a 55-01, at half the price. I played 7 of them and they all played so well that it was a hard choice which one to buy.
This was at the Bass Centre and probably the last time i was in there.

I know you can order Sandbergs with fret markers/inlays etc but im sure these are extras and ive not seen many for sale second-hand with these on, other than a couple of horrible road worn basses (sorry, i hate this look).

I don't know where you are but apparently PMT in Birmingham usually have quite good stocks of them. I think Bass Merchant in Colchester have some, and Electro Music in Doncaster have a black Cali PM ( :) ) in stock at the moment (I think that's where my Sandberg was originally purchased).