Why become a member? ×

Adding a decal

aceuggy

I am going to put a new neck on my Fender P. I have ordered a Mighty Mite neck for it and I want to put a decal on it, I think the neck will have a light satin lacquer on it, so can I just apply the decal direct or will I have to sand down the headstock at all? Also once applied I guess It would be best to apply a lacquer over it to help stop it from peeling off, so can anyone recommend a lacquer to use and the best way of doing this? Sorry for all the questions, but I haven't done this before and I want to make as good a job of it as I can.

Edited by aceuggy

It is best to apply the decal to a finished headstock, otherwise you get an uneven look as you can see right through it to the bare, scratchy bit of wood. When you start lacquering over it, go slow, little misty coats, or you'll kill it.
Lots and lots of info on the web about methods of applying decals. I've done a few, and it's easy enough, but it can take 2 or 3 goes before you get it right. I use the 3 quid a can acrylic stuff from halfords, does the job and is cheap.
Good luck.

and look at my old build thread over on another well known bass forum I used to frequent, has my decal attempt and advice on how to do it in there somewhere
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-p-bass-copy-step-step-fun-watch-558473/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/rebuildin...n-watch-558473/[/url]

[quote name='gary mac' post='1189220' date='Apr 5 2011, 04:21 PM']I'm about to order decals and lacquer from this lot [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190508976512&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url][/quote]

Dec Art Decals are spot on and really great is you want something different as well. Fantastic quality.

Thanks for your replies, I have the neck now and it has a very light coat of lacquer so will need a few more I think. One more question, spray or paint on? (I assume the fretboard needs to be masked off!)

Edited by aceuggy

[quote name='aceuggy' post='1190251' date='Apr 6 2011, 10:50 AM']Thanks for your replies, I have the neck now and it has a very light coat of lacquer so will need a few more I think. One more question, spray or paint on? (I assume the fretboard needs to be masked off!)[/quote]

Spray, a brush will take off the decal. Oh, and mask off the back of your tuner holes, or it'll drip all down the back of your neck, like wot mine did....

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1190354' date='Apr 6 2011, 12:08 PM']Spray, a brush will take off the decal. Oh, and mask off the back of your tuner holes, or it'll drip all down the back of your neck, like wot mine did....[/quote]

Dave, thanks very much for all your advice. Had a look at your link as well, lots of good advice there too. Will post pics as I go. :)

Ok ok, one last question. Once I have lacquered the headstock, I'm going to use a light brown tint, and applied the decal, will I have to use a clear lacquer to seal it, or do you think I could just give the whole lot another quick mist with the tinted stuff? At £10 a tin I don't really want to splash out for a clear lacquer if I'm not going to use much.

I would guess that if you want to bury the decal so you can't see the edges, your brown tint might make it disappear a bit. Or it might look cool and aged. I would say test it first on a spare bit of wood, but if you're trying to save money then 2 decals and extra lacquer isn't going to help. :)
Go for it, and if it doesn't work, strip it and do it again.