Why become a member? ×

A Mystery Solved!

BobVbass

So... I bought my double bass about a year ago now and the old chap I got it from said he bought it in the early sixties, couldn't remember the make but seemed to think it was German.

It's a ply bass and about a year before he sold it he had it stripped so it's now blonde; It's plywood with a rosewood board and end piece - I've looked high and low trying to figure out it's make - finally went to Healey Violins last weekend and had the bridge sorted and adjustable wheels added and he gave me the final clue I needed - It's a Framus....one of these -

[url="http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules/modells/instruments.php?modellID=20&katID=4668&cl=EN"]http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules/model...=4668&cl=EN[/url]

Anyway, it's not a Kay I know and it's still plywood I know (although Malcolm Healey said it sounded great which was nice as well) but actually I'm pretty pleased for my £800 outlay :)

Old Framus ply basses are great, I'm on the look out for one all the time...you lucky, lucky..thing. There's one on Ebay at the mo' just down the road from me. Some say they are the European equivalent of Kay's...but I always thought Kay's did underwear catalogues ??? but maybe that was just a distant teenage memory.

[quote name='bob_pickard' post='1194265' date='Apr 10 2011, 07:32 AM']:) I was looking at the one the other day - looks a nice one; hybrid version so more posh than mine! :)[/quote]

It's a bit tatty, but just enough Mojo and just enough rock and roll bling for my liking. :lol:

Good price... I was lucky.

Jeeeeesus.
I got it today. BOOOOM. It plays like a carved bass (well it is a hybrid).
Loudest ballsiest bass I ever had (apart from a carved bass...). I am seriously in love. What a find.

Gorgeous, quality bass. It cleaned up stunningly too, mojo scars intact but otherwise luscious patina and deep colour.

Mmmmmm.

Hehe, I resisted the Epiphone. Don't actually like the look much. Tho I still lusted of course...

This Framus has blown me away, the Kay and the King sound like toy basses compared.
But man, it is BIG ... it's officially a 7/8 but it is massive, and sounds it too. German quality. ANd it looks amazing ... better than in the photo.

Mmmmmm...

I've lent my camera at the mo but here's a shot from the fifties band's site ( I hate those shoes!) :)

[url="http://www.aband.biz/gallery1.htm"]http://www.aband.biz/gallery1.htm[/url]

It's a bit distant but when I get my camera back after the holidays I'll take some better ones

It's not me on their demo songs btw - They've an EB player that does most of the gigs (great chap) I just turn up for the expensive gigs where they need a DB :) - and supply my glamour and obvious good looks to their photos of course :)

Thanks for the reply, nice crepes and drape!
More pics would be fantastic, I`m fairly convinced I have the same model as you.
One question, in the other thread the general vibe seemed to be that Framus had the bass & globe label, yet mine has no label, and it seems neither did yours?
Ta,
MM

[quote name='bob_pickard' post='1203144' date='Apr 18 2011, 06:11 AM']nope no label on mine although there's various scraps of paper, dust and general muck floating about inside -

Paul any other definitive marks on your Framus at all?[/quote]

Nope. Actually I recently mailed Christian Foyer at the Framus Museum in Germany, even he couldn't be certain. he said it's impossible to tell if the label's gone, as there were other makers doing similar things.
All he could say was it certainly LOOKS like a Framus, what with all the edging and stuff, and that Framus was by far the biggest maker ... so chances are very good that it is.
An added complication, I'm informed, is that Framus actually commissioned out-of-house luthiers to build basses for them, so many different styles and builds exist.

Only notable feature on mine is the engraved number inside the peg box, just above the nut. 990 or 066 ... can't tell which way up.

I'm blown away by the power and punch of tone from this bass ... as good as my old carved bass, which was notably powerful and pure. Heavy though.