Why become a member? ×

Anyone playing the small/medium theatre circuit?

niceguyhomer

Just wondering how other bands on the theatre circuit are doing - we play 100-200 seaters which we usually fill more or less. We have a run of four or five coming up but advance ticket sales are looking pretty grim and whilst we know a lot of people pay on the door and that's fine, the venue's are getting twitchy.

I know times are hard but howzit for you at the moment?

We tend to be playing the opening act at all our theatre / art centre gigs so it's just a case of turning up & playing. I'm sure it's the headliners who sell the tickets and we have little to do with it (of course if any promoters are reading this they'll know I am of course joking and those American bands would be stuffed without a local UK band like mine helping to boost ticket sales, ahem!).

The audiences have always been steady for us and thankfully they love buying merchandise far more than the average pub punter :)

Can't say that is my market atm, but we have a new 450 capacity club to open..with another band.. and I think that is a bold move in this economic time. It is going to take some filling ..and 450 people is a WHOLE of people, but I think we will do it if the door is sensible but what the booking policy will after that....I don't know.

To make the change from a relatively vibrant pub scene and music scene locally to one that draws acts from around the country..possibly..is a real gamble. Fortunately, the Brewery involved has always backed its pubs with music funding, IIRC, so
they must be pretty confident and this is only a step on for them. Also , I think their overheads will be FAR less than a normal club
but it will be interesting to see who they target as their draws.

Economically, people talk about this year being worse than last..and if that is true, then those tickets sales will be fraught as people keep their money in their pocket more.
We are wary about putting up our rates but there is plenty of work out there at the level we are interested in altho I know my mates prime function band have taken a hit on their upmarket cost weddings.. They'll play a pub from time to time..as a loss type leader but charge £1600-2000 plus for a wedding. So I don't think this is one of their better years all round.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1188678' date='Apr 5 2011, 09:50 AM']Can't say that is my market atm, but we have a new 450 capacity club to open..with another band.. and I think that is a bold move in this economic time. It is going to take some filling ..and 450 people is a WHOLE of people, but I think we will do it if the door is sensible but what the booking policy will after that....I don't know.

To make the change from a relatively vibrant pub scene and music scene locally to one that draws acts from around the country..possibly..is a real gamble. Fortunately, the Brewery involved has always backed its pubs with music funding, IIRC, so
they must be pretty confident and this is only a step on for them. Also , I think their overheads will be FAR less than a normal club
but it will be interesting to see who they target as their draws.

Economically, people talk about this year being worse than last..and if that is true, then those tickets sales will be fraught as people keep their money in their pocket more.
We are wary about putting up our rates but there is plenty of work out there at the level we are interested in altho I know my mates prime function band have taken a hit on their upmarket cost weddings.. They'll play a pub from time to time..as a loss type leader but charge £1600-2000 plus for a wedding. So I don't think this is one of their better years all round.[/quote]

Keep me posted on the club JT

C

We've just been booked to play Leamington Spa Assembly rooms with another tribute band and the promoter must be confident due to the huge (in our case) guarantee he's putting up.

We are finding in the tribute band scene that doing double/triple headline shows is a good way forward. You normally get a shed load more people and even though you're dividing the money between bands we have ended up with bigger attendances and in the end, more money.

Rock City is our best gig still and we can pull up to 120/30 on our own and last year did 247 with another tribute band.

I was a rich man that night!!! :)