Why become a member? ×

Another Jazz Pickup Question

jim_bass

I'm thinking of upgrading the pickups on my Squire Classic Vibe 60's Jazz. I don't want active pickups, so was looking at a pair of SD Quarter Pounders or Wizards.

I play mainly in a church band and the style of songs vary quite a lot. I'd a bit more oomph for heavy rock type songs, but still need to be able to dial in a nice round mellow tone when needed.

I was also looking at installing an S-1 type switch to give a more precision style tone when needed.

Versatility is the key! Any ideas?

I put Wizard 84s in my CV Jazz and am very happy with the result - far more focused and emphatic bottom end from the neck pickup and some real J character from the bridge. Combined with La Bella flats it's monstrous. Service from Wizard was fantastic too and for £70 inc p&p you can't go wrong. Highly recommended.

Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders - whilst I`ve never had them in a Jazz, I`ve had them in Precisions, and to me, they emphasise both the lows and highs, but with a "metallic" twang - not as in Mettallica or Heavy Metal - just make the sound seem more "metallic", and effectively "de-Fendering" the sound.

In an Aerodyne Jazz that I had, I put a Hot Stack in the bridge, and this was hotter output than the stock Fender pickup, hum-cancelling, but still sounded like a Fender Jazz pickup, just more of all of the sound, so to speak. Was an STK-J2, which is the pickup Duff McKagan has in the bridge of his Fenders.

I highly recommend the SD Quarter Pounders, and they would be a significant upgrade from the stock ones. They're hotter and more defined but still sound like a true single coil (cos they are).

It just so happens that I have a pair for sale at the moment. :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=129797"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=129797[/url]

Ive also got Wizards (74's) in my CV Jazz and love them. They do change the character of the bass, it now sounds more thumpy but without loosing the growl.

Shame this thread started after i put my Wizards back in other wise i would have let the OP borrow them for a while. They wont be coming back out now

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1185960' date='Apr 2 2011, 05:03 PM']Shame this thread started after i put my Wizards back in other wise i would have let the OP borrow them for a while. They wont be coming back out now[/quote]

Bummer. That would have been nice :) how hot is the output from the pickups?

Edited by jim_bass