Why become a member? ×

Do Covers Bands 'pull' an audience?

Bilbo

[quote name='4000' post='1185199' date='Apr 1 2011, 08:00 PM']It [[i]performing as a tribute act[/i]] is often done from a place of real love of the original band, and is often done with a sense of perfectionism.[/quote]

Often, yes. Sadly it is sometimes done when someone spots a gap in the market and sees a money-making opportunity...

When did I become such a bitter old cynic? :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1186161' date='Apr 2 2011, 08:24 PM']Live music, regardless of whether it's original or not, is always going to be preferable.[/quote]

+1

We were out playing at a function last night and when we were packing up we probably got what I would consider to be the biggest compliment ever.

A chap walked up to us and said that he'd only come along because his wife made him and that he'd avoided live music for the last 10 years because it was 'all rubbish'.
He told us that we'd ruined his night because he came along with the intention of hating every minute of it so he could say "told you so" when he got home.
He asked us where the local music venues are and came back a few minutes later, bemused wife in tow, to get precise directions to one of the venues.

We may never see him at one of our gigs again, but we managed to get a convert to live music and that has to be good news. :)

[quote name='Conan' post='1186197' date='Apr 2 2011, 09:05 PM']Maybe you're right. Maybe I shouldn't be playing. Although quite what the connection is between me asking a rhetorical question and my perceived worthiness to share a choice of instrument with your good self is unclear to me.

I have never seen The Musical Box. In general, I don't "do" tribute bands - but as I am a big fan of early Genesis maybe I should check them out?

However, as you have already explained (at great length) that they are highly skilled and very professional, surely the comparison with a "typical band playing down the pub" is somewhat bogus? Clearly the difference is down to quality rather than choice of material. Or maybe both in your case.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to condescend to reply to my question. And sorry to disappoint you.

Well, not really.[/quote]

You see that round yellow thing at the end of my sentence that looks like it's winking? Strangely enough, it is.

FWIW, yes, you probably should see the Musical Box if you like early Genesis. Phil Collins sat in with them and said he was the worst thing in them, which as a member of the original band he was rather embarrassed about.

With regards to quality/material, I think I've already covered that ad infinitum. I'll assume you read my other posts. I reckon Dave will back me up. :)

No problem re the response. We aim to please. :) (that was a wink again BTW).

[quote name='4000' post='1186296' date='Apr 2 2011, 11:07 PM']You see that round yellow thing at the end of my sentence that looks like it's winking? Strangely enough, it is.

FWIW, yes, you probably should see the Musical Box if you like early Genesis. Phil Collins sat in with them and said he was the worst thing in them, which as a member of the original band he was rather embarrassed about.

With regards to quality/material, I think I've already covered that ad infinitum. I'll assume you read my other posts. I reckon Dave will back me up. :)

No problem re the response. We aim to please. :P (that was a wink again BTW).[/quote]

Don't drag me into this - :) :lol: :lol:

I can however identify with the issue. :D

All good fun.

Dave