Why become a member? ×

My Poor Tone

neptunehealer

[quote name='Davetbass' post='135283' date='Feb 6 2008, 08:16 PM']You dont have to skin yourself either! There was a thread about the Squire Vintage Modified Jazz. £220 and it`s got everything you could want or need. Active pups, nice upgraded bridge and natural finish that looks cool![/quote]
You can do this in steps and a Squire that feels nice and sounds just right is a good starting point.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='135313' date='Feb 6 2008, 09:06 PM']I'm pretty sure this the hardest I've ever seen the members of a bass forum have to work to convince someone they need a new bass. It usually goes like this ...

Q: My bass sounds like crap, what should I do?

All: Buy a new one!

Q: Right, I'm off to the shops.

:huh: ;) ;) :huh: ;) :)[/quote]

Haha i am pleased i stand out from the crowd but in all seriousness i do know i need a new one.
Oh yes to help anyone identify my heap of crap bass, on the headstock it has written in small letter under Vintage "a John Hornby Skewes Product" i am unsure as to whether all Vintage models say this.
However i wish Dear John had made more of an effort with the bass, then again he probably had a young naive bass novice (which i was at the time) firmly in mind.

Oh and i am fully giving my soul up for GAS.

I have got to the off to the shops bit, the only thing is the town i live in shall we say isn't blessed with music shops especially when it comes to basses.
Of what music shops we do have the bass part reduces in size by the second, and what they do have are all copy models maybe with one Fender Jazz which is their prized possession.

So it means a drive to Birmingham which by the time i get there i will feel obliged to buy something to make me feel the journey was worthwhile.
So i have many factors which affect my decision process.

P.S. I am hard work.

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='135400' date='Feb 6 2008, 11:20 PM']I have got to the off to the shops bit, the only thing is the town i live in shall we say isn't blessed with music shops especially when it comes to basses.
Of what music shops we do have the bass part reduces in size by the second, and what they do have are all copy models maybe with one Fender Jazz which is their prized possession.

So it means a drive to Birmingham which by the time i get there i will feel obliged to buy something to make me feel the journey was worthwhile.
So i have many factors which affect my decision process.

P.S. I am hard work.[/quote]

Right, can we have a quick re cap? What do you need in a bass?, how much do you want to spend? There's a lot of online shops that have good prices too :)

[quote name='Jase' post='135415' date='Feb 6 2008, 11:55 PM']Right, can we have a quick re cap? What do you need in a bass?, how much do you want to spend? There's a lot of online shops that have good prices too :)[/quote]

Well i play in a rock/pop/soul/funk cover band and we have a few weddings booked and i need a new bass really.
I am after a passive 4 string bass which isn't too heavy on the shoulders.
I will spend upto £600 if i find the right one for me, thing is i know buying online is good but i do know that trying them out first is imperitive.

[quote name='Davetbass' post='135283' date='Feb 6 2008, 08:16 PM']You dont have to skin yourself either! There was a thread about the Squire Vintage Modified Jazz. £220 and it`s got everything you could want or need. Active pups, nice upgraded bridge and natural finish that looks cool!

Anyone got any pic`s of their own models? I`m seriously thinking about getting one myself :)[/quote]

Squier VMJ pups are passive, not active... the bridge is a stock "Fender" style bridge... not upgraded

and here's a piccy of mine :huh:

I changed the control-plate assembly to one out of a Fender Geddy-Lee, put Schaller straplocks and Picato flats on it...

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='135542' date='Feb 7 2008, 10:11 AM']Well i play in a rock/pop/soul/funk cover band and we have a few weddings booked and i need a new bass really.
I will spend upto £600 if i find the right one for me, thing is i know buying online is good but i do know that trying them out first is imperitive.[/quote]

Why not start a new thread entitled 'Bass Wanted' - there are always basses for sale here (seems to be a bit of a sellers' market, quite often you see prices reduced when no-one bites for a few weeks) and it's a small enough community that you have less chance of getting ripped off than if you go to EvilBay.

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='135542' date='Feb 7 2008, 10:11 AM']Well i play in a rock/pop/soul/funk cover band and we have a few weddings booked and i need a new bass really.
I will spend upto £600 if i find the right one for me, thing is i know buying online is good but i do know that trying them out first is imperitive.[/quote]

If your going to spend £600 you won't go far wrong without trying it out first, there would be plenty of guys here to give approx weights on different basses too....on the other hand stick around in the for sale section lots of trusted people selling here :) and always honest about the goods too.

Any particular brand you really fancy?

[quote name='Jase' post='135860' date='Feb 7 2008, 04:28 PM']If your going to spend £600 you won't go far wrong without trying it out first, there would be plenty of guys here to give approx weights on different basses too....on the other hand stick around in the for sale section lots of trusted people selling here :) and always honest about the goods too.

Any particular brand you really fancy?[/quote]

Hi Jase, well even tho i have been playing bass for 9 years i have tried any out apart from crappy old one. So my views may change as i try them out, but through searching endless reviews i am veering towards a Fender Jazz Bass, or even the squire now.

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='135875' date='Feb 7 2008, 04:36 PM']Hi Jase, well even tho i have been playing bass for 9 years i have tried any out apart from crappy old one. So my views may change as i try them out, but through searching endless reviews i am veering towards a Fender Jazz Bass, or even the squire now.[/quote]

Sorry that was full of misleading typo errors, as i am at work and trying to avoid detection, i meant to say i havent tried any other basses out apart from my crappy old one.

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='135875' date='Feb 7 2008, 04:36 PM']Hi Jase, well even tho i have been playing bass for 9 years i have tried any out apart from crappy old one. So my views may change as i try them out, but through searching endless reviews i am veering towards a Fender Jazz Bass, or even the squire now.[/quote]

Ahhh! Fender, you could buy one of those cold with out problems CIJ or MIA :)