Why become a member? ×

Tell me if this is a really stupid idea

Ian Savage

I'm not doing much bass playing at all at the minute (haven't even got one right now, but that's another story) so I can't justify having a bass rig kicking around the place. What I HAVE got, however, is my Peavey Classic 410E guitar cab which I'm keeping for six-string duties.

It's very rare that I need the power of four speakers for guitar, so my possibly hare-brained idea was to take two of the guitar speakers out and replace them with 10" bass drivers. My thinking is that since the cab has the connections to allow stereo operation I could essentially have half of the cab available for running a guitar amp through and be able to at least get SOME sound out of it for bass duties (via my EHX Bass Metaphors and a PA power amp) should I be called upon to do a jam night or whatever - the bass would also likely go through the PA so I'd really only need to get enough out of the 410 to hear what I'm doing.

Viable, or really bloody stupid and a waste of time?

If they are all in the same box, when the bass drivers go out, they'll try and suck the guitar drivers in, and that messes with all the speaker /air pressure balance stuff that goes into making a cab sound right. If there is two compartments, then you'd have bass drivers in a too small box, so probably wouldn't be loads better off than just using it as a guitar cab, and playing guitary bass, with the low cut.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1182373' date='Mar 30 2011, 03:48 PM']If they are all in the same box, when the bass drivers go out, they'll try and suck the guitar drivers in, and that messes with all the speaker /air pressure balance stuff that goes into making a cab sound right. If there is two compartments, then you'd have bass drivers in a too small box, so probably wouldn't be loads better off than just using it as a guitar cab, and playing guitary bass, with the low cut.[/quote]

Actually half the box would still be big enough for a lot of tens, but looking at images online not only does it appear to be a single box but it is open backed. It won't work well at all I'm afraid.

You could always buy a 1/2 sheet of plywood & seal the cab :)

For the price of a couple of drivers to stick in your 4x10, you could buy a cheap bass cab off of here (Ashdown MAG, Hartke, etc).

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1182838' date='Mar 30 2011, 10:53 PM']Actually half the box would still be big enough for a lot of tens, but looking at images online not only does it appear to be a single box but it is open backed.[/quote]

You're right, it is open-backed.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1182977' date='Mar 31 2011, 08:49 AM']For the price of a couple of drivers to stick in your 4x10, you could buy a cheap bass cab off of here (Ashdown MAG, Hartke, etc).[/quote]

It's more an issue of space than anything else; I'll likely to be moving into pretty much the cheapest accomodation I can find in the near future so the smaller I can make the physical footprint of my gear the better! Hey ho, might try Mr Foxen's idea of just playing through the cab with a chunk of the low end carved out; as I say, as long as I can hear what I'm doing overall sound quality isn't paramount.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1183102' date='Mar 31 2011, 10:58 AM']Nooo! Too sensible![/quote]

Yes, there shall be no sensible here :) there is actually a reason for wanting to keep hold of the Peavey, it's got some sentimental value and it's also got my daughter's height marked up the side of it over her first couple of years (as well as a flightcase). I'll have a look at how easy it'd be to block off the lower half of the cab when i get home...