Why become a member? ×

Back up a 5 with a 4?

Rumble

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='135285' date='Feb 7 2008, 06:51 AM']clearly 2 views here, adn it is actually slightly off the main topic (which is "what type of backup", not "do you need one").

For me it would depend on the type of gig. I take tools and can repair most things, but if you are engaged on a professional gig, being paid as such, and are the only band, it is madness to not have the spare bass. Even if it is a banger, and stays in the case. Crazy not to...imho obv..but a £150 yammy will do!

But if it is a pub gig with another band, sure, not as crucial at all. Horses for courses.

C :-)[/quote]

Yep, if you just want a cheap safety net then buy something like an SX. This will get you through to the end of a song or set. Fix the problem with your main and away you go again on your main bass.

4/5/fretless doesn't matter as long as you are able to get through to a point where you can fix your main.

Alternatively, buy a bass that has different characteristics to your main and play it on a few select songs that suit that sound, then you will not only have a spare but more diversity as well.

Some have said you need a spare bass because the gig is a big one or you are being paid a lot for the gig. My question is, if you do carry a spare bass have you ever really needed it, or is it as I said before just a comfort blanket.
I have played most "big venues" including the Royal Albert hall, Symphony Hall & Bridgewater Hall. These gigs have been on Tuba but, I have never needed a back up. I don't think you get much bigger than these, and I've never even thought of taking a back up.

Sod's law being what it is, the first time you don't take one, you'll need it. In the past I've been let down three times by a bass at gigs, luckily none of them was a big paid affair. Nonetheless each time, I wished to god that I'd had a spare bass with me. It would have been rather more than a comfort blanket.

[quote name='bigd1' post='135509' date='Feb 7 2008, 09:23 AM']These gigs have been on Tuba but,.............[/quote]

It's very difficult to break a string on a Tuba. It's also unlikely that the pre-amp battery will suddenly run down or a solder joint will crack. You seem to be vehemently against people on here trying their best to ensure they put on a professional show and don't spoil e.g. someones wedding reception. If, as you say, there's never a need to carry a spare bass, how come all the big bands - deep purple, bonnie raitt, yes, dream theatre, metallica etc etc etc carry a great many basses? Go to any big gig and you'll see racks of basses (and guitars), some of which get played, some of which are spares.
As I said earlier, I'd rather be able to swap basses in about 5 seconds than cause even 5 minutes of silence trying to get to the bottom of a problem.

Edited by jacko

Bloody right. EXACTLY what I've been trying to say all along, only put more eloquently than me :huh: Perhaps all those big bands have a big comfort-blanket problem..? :)
I can't understand what exactly is wrong with taking along a second bass 'just in case'? What's so difficult about chucking two gigbags and gtr stands in the car, instead of one, if you feel the gig warrants it? Why is it such a bad idea?

[quote name='Freuds_Cat' post='134790' date='Feb 6 2008, 04:21 AM']I take 3 different basses to most gigs (Main: 72 Jazz, 2nd: Hollowbody w/ hummers, 3rd: Fretless) and I'm comfortable just switching to one of the other 2.
Battery goes flat on the active Jazz and its fun to switch to the fretless until the end of the set.

So Unless you are really out of your comfort zone then get a similar one. Otherwise IMHO it can be good fun and makes you think differently.[/quote]

At the moment I take three too. Generally a Tokai P-Bass, a Rickenfaker & an old semi w/flats.

Last time I broke a string was about ten years ago, & I guess I could pretty much cover all the stuff with P-Bass due to it's versatility, so I can agree with those who say one good bass is enough with spares & perhaps a small toolkit.

However, I do like the different feels & tones I get with different instruments, and (for me) it's also fun to chop & change. :)
IMO there's no point in having them all if I'm not going to use them.

There again, I could end up going back to using one bass if transport space was an issue....

I never said I had a problem with people taking a spare bass etc. I find it interesting that people don't have the confidence in there equipment and feel the need of a spare.
I think you will find there is a world of a difference between playing at a wedding gig no matter haw big it is, and being on tour as your Dream theater example.
It is as was pointed out, very hard to break a string on a Tuba. Having said that I don't think I've ever broken a string on bass guitar.
The battery going dead problem. I always put a new battery in for each gig so again never been a problem, although I do carry spare.
As I did say before, I was just interested in if anyone has really found they really need a back up, this has not been answered or is it habit, or just you feel more confident having a back up.
I don't see this as a good or bad thing, although some seem to be talking the stance that I see this as a weakness. Far from the truth, if you want to take a spare guitar, stack, amp, speaker, car, cloths, partner, band or anything I have missed of this list thats up to you.
My point was just to hopefully be clear, has anybody found they really need to take spare instruments when playing gigs?

[quote name='bigd1' post='136414' date='Feb 8 2008, 11:59 AM']My point was just to hopefully be clear, has anybody found they really need to take spare instruments when playing gigs?[/quote]

Sorry, my misunderstanding.
i've broken strings on 2 occasions. The first was years ago on my precision when I didn't have a second bass. It took several minutes of quiet and nervous chat from the singer while i changed strings.
The second time was a couple of years ago and I was able to switch to my fretless with a few seconds of non-bass in mid song. I found this infinitely preferable to the first case. I suppose, strictly speaking I don't carry a spare bass as both get used in equal amounts during the set depending on the song's requirements. i do also carry a selection of spares including strings, batteries, fuses, valves plus all the tools i could ever need.

My 'spare' basses usually sit on stands in different rooms so I can pick one up whenever the urge takes me :)

Whether or not people think a spare bass is a necessary part of their arsenal is a personal choice. If you choose not to have one for whatever reason that may be, I have no quibbles and respect your choice. As for me, I don't - and never have - like looking an arse in front of people; so for that reason alone, even if the odds are very slim of anything going wrong, I'll take a spare.

As for the reliability of modern day basses, I agree with previous comments made. However, when my mate knocked over his band mates bass rendering it useless for the remainder of the gig, it wasn't so much a reflection of the basses quality, rather the force with which it hit the floor!!

Back to the original purpose of the thread......... don't ask me why, but I feel myself being drawn towards a P-bass. It feels a bit bizarre given that I've never really liked them before, but... I know, I know....it's a 4 string to back up a five, but I don't know that I'm not up for a bit of a change and a challenge!

I think you [i]do[/i] need a backup bass. You say you've gone so many years without needing one, but it takes one gig where your bass fails and you're screwed. You'll regret it if you don't have one when you need one. As for if it needs to be similar, as long as you're comfortable with it and it sounds and looks right with your band, then it doesn't have to be similar to your main bass (unless your super famous for playing a certain bass, which I'm guessing you're not).

[quote name='bigd1' post='136414' date='Feb 8 2008, 11:59 AM']My point was just to hopefully be clear, has anybody found they really need to take spare instruments when playing gigs?[/quote]

Straight answer in all hoesty (for me) is [u]no[/u].

[quote name='bigd1' post='136414' date='Feb 8 2008, 11:59 AM']I think you will find there is a world of a difference between playing at a wedding gig no matter haw big it is, and being on tour as your Dream theater example.[/quote]
Yes, you're right... the wedding gig is far, [i]far[/i] more important.
[quote]My point was just to hopefully be clear, has anybody found they really need to take spare instruments when playing gigs?[/quote]
As I said before, I've had two gigs in the past where I wished to god I'd had a spare bass, but didn't. So now, I take one just in case it happens again.