Why become a member? ×

boss ps6 or ps5

Salt on your Bass?

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' post='1180138' date='Mar 28 2011, 09:58 PM']Im looking for something along the lines of the akai unibass, octave up and 4ths or 5ths harmonies with decent tracking. I wondered if these could do the job?

Im after something smallish footprint.

Any input or suggestions welcomed.

Cheers[/quote]

Owned a PS5 for a while, was great fun for whammy-esque octave-ups and also the odd dive bomb too! Used it for lazy but really smooth portomento slides, from a semi tone to full octaves (I think you can get more than an octave out of it but not sure)

I also used mine in a latch type fashion so depressing the footswitch was like pressing a Floyd-Rose whammy bar and releasing it did the opposite, back to normal. Was useful only when used sparingly as (for the settings I used anyway) if pressed continually it lost alot of bottom end but I'm not sure other settings would have the same issues

Tracking was great for what I used it for, hope this helps

Thanks for the input so far. I think I'm leaning towards the PS-6 based on what I've read/heard, and I understand the tracking is meant to be improved from the PS-5.

Looks like I'll have to get my arse in gear and get to a shop to give 'em a try then, I'm very reluctant to spend new without trying......then again, GAS normally beats me down!

I guess there arent any/too may PS-6 users out there at the moment then - other flavours of this seem to get more love, such as the Whammy IV, Eventide, etc.

I also think I'll have to get an expression pedal to have more fun with it as well!! Been thinking about a whammy for a while too.......

Decisions decisions..... :)

Yeah, I kinda gathered that trying to piece together whatever bits of info were out there, but thats really useful thanks :). I'll be sticking a load of fuzz/distortion either before or after it, so I reckon I should get away with it.

I've just dropped Boss a line to see what their line is on the PS-6 in terms of use with bass and tracking. See what they say I guess, but I can feel myself now just wanting to take the plunge.......

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1180743' date='Mar 29 2011, 01:29 PM']Whammies are cool, but it's a very "digital sound". I use mine loads, but it's not for everyone.[/quote]

• 1 month later...

Well I ended up pulling the trigger on the PS-6 without trying it out, and chucked it on my board last night for rehearsal.

I've only really used it as an octave up so far, and a little detune, and need to spend some time with it/get an expression pedal for the S-bend and pitshifter. However, my initial thoughts on the harmony setting is that it tracks really well - down to a low B (although gets a little wobbly, its not noticeable with a drummer and guitar going). It does sound very digital, but the harmony/octave can be blended, which is great in controlling the level required.

This is my first boss pedal, and I'm getting used to the layout and multi functionality of each knob, setting dependent. It does exactly what I hoped it would, and with fuzz or distortion, it just adds even more girth to what I'm playing, and I find it works well on a couple of covers where the g****t takes the solo, and there should also be the rhythm (we're a 3 piece). I'm looking forward to getting to grips more with the other settings, but this looks to be a keeper for me, and isnt going to leave my board now.

I'll post again once I've had a proper go at the S-Bend and pitchshifter. Very happy with the purchase though.

Edit: typos

Edited by Salt on your Bass?