Why become a member? ×

Can I post a Tele-type guitar build?

Golchen

Well, here it is anyway. My Midi/acoustic/mag pup tele-type guitar.

Body and neck both from SIMS to my spec.

I got the body and neck a few weeks ago, and sourced all the other parts from eBay or other internet places (so easy these days!). It has been great fun working out what to get, and putting it all together. A bit daunting drilling holes in the body and hacking lumps out with a chisel though! Basically I have put it all together to make sure that it all worked/fitted OK (the wiring was er ..... interesting! See pic below), but now unfortunately I have to take it all apart again as I need to get the body sprayed up.

I have to say that the playability is AMAZING! Way better than I could have possibly hoped for, and that's even with the action not desperately low either. This is probably due to quality parts, SS frets and short scale length. I can't put this guitar down! I feel a bit gutted that I have to strip it down and do without it for weeks.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, here are some pix:

The whole guitar:

Controls and trem. Knobs L to R: Magnetic volume with mag tone on top, midi volume, piezo volume (with pull-up for darker tone). Switches: L to R: midi up/down, coil split, Midi solo/midi plus last switch, magnetic/piezo/both.

Sperzels, my machinehead of choice. Also graphtech nut.

Back of guitar showing body contour, speed rout at neck join, cool plateless neck join, battery box and rout for wiring

As mentioned before wiring was fun! I will be shortening some of these now that I know all is OK.

So now I need to decide on a paint job! I'm basically thinking black back and sides and some sort of burst on the front. But I really can't decide. I might go conventional or might go for something mad, or I may even just oil the body and leave it like it is, as I generally prefer guitars that don't look too 'bling'. Anyway, that's where I'm at for now.

[quote name='Golchen' post='1178091' date='Mar 27 2011, 11:30 AM']Well, here it is anyway. My Midi/acoustic/mag pup tele-type guitar.

So now I need to decide on a paint job! I'm basically thinking black back and sides and some sort of burst on the front. But I really can't decide. I might go conventional or might go for something mad, or I may even just oil the body and leave it like it is, as I generally prefer guitars that don't look too 'bling'. Anyway, that's where I'm at for now.[/quote]
Like you I am a tele-addict.....Like it a lot....but why the massive neck pup cavity...(Aquarium)...maybe you could keep live fish in it....albeit very small ones...lol....
How about finishing it like a rusted steel and lining that cavity with a circuit board,you could also apply a circuit board effect to the headstock in the form of a decal..might work? :) Would be a bit different......unlike me Im a boring ol traditionalist :)

Edited by tino

[quote name='tino' post='1178122' date='Mar 27 2011, 11:53 AM']Like you I am a tele-addict.....Like it a lot....but why the massive neck pup cavity...(Aquarium)...maybe you could keep live fish in it....albeit very small ones...lol....[/quote]

Keeping options open. I'm considering a mini-humbucker in the neck and I will also at some point try a middle SC as well. The fish tank would look funny - I'm going to bear that in mind (not with REAL fish though!).

The clear scratchplate is so that I can drop pictures of choice behind it, I'm not planning on keeping the clear look - well, unless the fish thing is a goer ....

Nice Tele's you have there!

Edited by Golchen

[quote name='Golchen' post='1178136' date='Mar 27 2011, 11:07 AM']The fish tank would look funny - I'm going to bear that in mind (not with REAL fish though!).[/quote]
A nice bit of haddock would keep for a couple of days in there! :)

Seriously though, that looks like a beautiful Tele.. I'd go for natural or slightly stained down lacquer meself.

[quote name='Golchen' post='1178136' date='Mar 27 2011, 12:07 PM']Keeping options open. I'm considering a mini-humbucker in the neck and I will also at some point try a middle SC as well. The fish tank would look funny - I'm going to bear that in mind (not with REAL fish though!).

The clear scratchplate is so that I can drop pictures of choice behind it, I'm not planning on keeping the clear look - well, unless the fish thing is a goer ....

Nice Tele's you have there![/quote]
Or on an aquatic theme....a diving board and a pair of action man legs sticking up from the bottom of the cavity....its only 1oclock and Im on pint 5 :)

I have a crappy home built tele (not built by me) that I was thinking of doing up. Decided against it in the end, although I've now got a replacement neck to shift!

My lack of woodworking skills puts me off, even the thought of drilling 4 holes into the neck to fix it to the body scares me silly so I've decided to leave it to the professionals and have been debating buying a new one for a few weeks now.