Why become a member? ×

2ndhand cab buying

Bloc Riff Nut

Hi guys,

I'm changing from Markbass combo to a seperate head and cabinet. My head is still in the post and I'm going to pick-up the cab on Wednesday. I've done a search but can't find anything on what to look for when checking out a 2dhand cab.
I'll be using the sellers head to test the 4x10 cab(with tweeter). Other than removing the grill to check the drivers what else should I be doing?

Thank you in advance.

Second hand is often difficult, but the first thing is to check feedback if available.

As for the cabs themselves, you need to be able drive it pretty hard and listen for what the speakers do.
The visual stuff is easy to work out so I be thinking if the condition was very good and looked loked after, then that could apply to the way the seler has looked after it in every respect.

But this is a rsik

[quote name='JTUK' post='1178021' date='Mar 27 2011, 10:45 AM']Second hand is often difficult, but the first thing is to check feedback if available.

As for the cabs themselves, you need to be able drive it pretty hard and listen for what the speakers do.
The visual stuff is easy to work out so I be thinking if the condition was very good and looked loked after, then that could apply to the way the seler has looked after it in every respect.

But this is a rsik[/quote]
I've seen good quality photo's on the net and it looks very tidy indeed. It's about an hrs drive their rehearsal room. I don't anticipate any probs, but you never know.
It's 275 euro for aEBS Classic Line 4x10.With cover and coasters. Seems like a good deal.

Checking feedback is def worth doing, gives a good indication of where you`re at with a purchase.

I`ve bought a fair few cabs on here (sold a fair few as well) and all of them were absolutely fine. I think you can get a "feeling" through the comms as to whether you want to go with an item or not, and luckily, to date, I`ve had no problems at all.

In terms of what to check, when I`ve sold any cabs, I`ve tried to take pics of the parts that are likely to get damaged that can have an effect on the workings of the cab - front grill, jack input etc. If these have damage on them, then the cones/electrics could have possible damage too. Likewise, if a cab is in real poor condition, but these are new, again, these bits could have been damaged, but replaced to hide it. In real terms, you`d expect "even" wear on a cab.

If the whole cab is in good condition, and has a cover, this to me indicates someone who looks after their gear.