Why become a member? ×

ibanez srt900

monkeybass

[quote name='Wil' post='1176371' date='Mar 25 2011, 07:03 PM']If you already have a five string, why do you need to detune? Surely you've already got all the low notes covered?[/quote]
I've already tried that, but most of our songs have fast sections that jump from open C to higher notes, it's too fast to jump from 1st fret up to the higher nnotes

To be brutally honest, it doesn't sound like the bass is really the problem here. Can you not re-write the parts so you can play them in standard 5 string tuning? That'd be what I'd do at least, I hate playing out of standard tuning, screws the tension up too much for my liking.

The only other solution I can think of would be getting a lower tension B string, Hi Beams are quite floppy feeling, to offset the tension difference caused by tuning the B up to C.

Depending on the style of music, fretting every note isn't always an option. Something that springs to mind is Deftone's My Own Summer (Shove It). Can't remember what tuning they're in offhand, but the bassline's not much fun to play (though not impossible) on a standard tuned 5er. There's quite a lot of bands that use fast riffs containing open notes that would be hellish to learn in standard.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOzs1FehYOA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOzs1FehYOA[/url] (chorus is at 33 seconds in, the verse would be easy enough).

I can't really offer any advice, I think 1 semitone up would be fine on a B string without having to change string guage though (so long as you're not using heavy strings to begin with).

[quote name='RussFM' post='1176719' date='Mar 25 2011, 11:32 PM']Ignorin the down-tuning, the SRT is the old Soundgear shape, but curved, the same as my SR1000 Prestige. If I were to ever get a backup for mine it would be an SRT. Lightest, most comfortable bass I've played, highly recommended![/quote]

Yeah, sorry, I was so busy thinking about the downtuning I didn't answer your question. I've never played the SRT900, but I own an SR500 and it's one of my favourite basses I've ever played. My Dad used to own an ATK and a Roadgear, and again, they were fantastic basses. Every other Ibanez I've ever played has been absolutely brilliant, so I'd have to say buy in confidence provided you like that sort of bass - my Dad says he's not a huge fan of my Ibanez because the neck's too thin, and I know others say they're too modern sounding (basically they don't sound like a Precision!), and others say they're too light and feel like they're playing a guitar. But if those things don't bother you, or are what you're after in a bass, IMO Ibanez can't be beaten.