Why become a member? ×

Nobody fancy this pre EB Stingray then?

Im surprised nobody has had a bid on this [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170616937399&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url] I know its a bit mojo'd but at that money it looks good to me, Maybe there will be a last minute bidder? (It would be me if I had the cash spare :) )

There was another pre-EB natural ash one in much better nick went for a rapid £1400 BIN job last week, after being put on at £1000 starting with the seller saying he'd let it run (!). £1250 is a decent shout for a pre-EB though, maybe a wee bit rich for one heavily mojo'd. On the subject of pre-EB's, I got kinda tumescent at this one....

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330545485108&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]A.N.Other pre_EB[/url]

...before spotting the seller had "updated the electronics". A 3EQ in a pre-EB, sheesh...... :)

Edited by MattM

[quote name='MattM' post='1175149' date='Mar 24 2011, 07:55 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330545485108&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]A.N.Other pre_EB[/url]

...before spotting the seller had "updated the electronics". A 3EQ in a pre-EB, sheesh...... :)[/quote]

Hilarious £50 'economy delivery' charge, taking 6-8 working days. Does the courier strap it to the back of a bike and delivery it in a neon mankini for that?

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1175224' date='Mar 24 2011, 08:59 PM']Hilarious £50 'economy delivery' charge, taking 6-8 working days. Does the courier strap it to the back of a bike and delivery it in a neon mankini for that?[/quote]
Maybe the extra cost is for the backup van, you know in case the first one runs out of diesel. :)

[quote name='MattM' post='1175149' date='Mar 24 2011, 07:55 PM']There was another pre-EB natural ash one in much better nick went for a rapid £1400 BIN job last week, after being put on at £1000 starting with the seller saying he'd let it run (!). £1250 is a decent shout for a pre-EB though, maybe a wee bit rich for one heavily mojo'd. On the subject of pre-EB's, I got kinda tumescent at this one....

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330545485108&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]A.N.Other pre_EB[/url]

...before spotting the seller had "updated the electronics". A 3EQ in a pre-EB, sheesh...... :)[/quote]
I know the whole story there mate but it's not for me to discuss :) afwiw the seller did it by the book and added a buy it now of £1400 for the buyer, that one was a great purchase IMO.

[quote name='MattM' post='1175149' date='Mar 24 2011, 07:55 PM']There was another pre-EB natural ash one in much better nick went for a rapid £1400 BIN job last week, after being put on at £1000 starting with the seller saying he'd let it run (!). £1250 is a decent shout for a pre-EB though, maybe a wee bit rich for one heavily mojo'd. On the subject of pre-EB's, I got kinda tumescent at this one....

That one will be watched closely, anyone got a spare 76' epoxy pre amp I will pay you £20 for it :)

I really love the look of Stingrays and I've bought two in the past and tried to get on with them but the necks just don't agree with me. It's weird, I just have a weird thing with P-style necks they just don't feel right. :)

And TBH I didn't even find a sound I liked on them either. I think I am just too old-school to play a Stingray. I do have an active bass I love (my Thumb) but the hi-fi Stingray sound just doesn't suit me.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1175421' date='Mar 24 2011, 11:46 PM']I really love the look of Stingrays and I've bought two in the past and tried to get on with them but the necks just don't agree with me. It's weird, I just have a weird thing with P-style necks they just don't feel right. :lol:

And TBH I didn't even find a sound I liked on them either. I think I am just too old-school to play a Stingray. I do have an active bass I love (my Thumb) but the hi-fi Stingray sound just doesn't suit me.[/quote]
1976 is a while ago now , its still really just a p bass body and neck with a different pup and a better bridge, also I have never really heard anyone class them as hi-fi? (ie see Cliff Williams :) ) If you don't like P basses or the MM sound though you aren't ever going to like them although I first tried one in about 1994 and didn't like them, now look at me :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1175212' date='Mar 24 2011, 08:51 PM']Haha 2 bids in the last 3 seconds. :)[/quote]
Just looked now, £1270 still looks good to me but just shows what a good deal the buyer of the 77' natural one with the oh so rare and cool teardrop case got for £130 more! I think there was a few hundred pound more in that one but the seller was gassing for a king bass that was also for sale.

Even better value when you check this out:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRE-ERNIE-BALL-MUSICMAN-STINGRAY-BLACK-1979-/180644289011?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a0f3d19f3"]Pre EB Black 'Ray[/url]

Wee bitty on the rich side for my tastes, and if you're gonna go pre-EB, has to be a natural ash/maple really.

I have had a closer look at both of the Stingrays and two points to note IMO the black 79' has its original mutes and springs missing not just the foam pads so that would put me off for that sort of money, The new ones would fit but are not the same size diameter so for the super fussy you are going to be looking for hens teeth originals forever!

The second one is of more interest to me as it appears to actually be a 76' :) ,Im going to watch that one closely for the right money it could be worth buying and waiting for replacements parts to arise, An EBMM 2 band replacement EQ initially will sort the sound and the pots out and I could steal the white pg off my 82' for a full John Deacon replica Stingray, Also according to the website the one before is listed as burst,maple and white pg so there is a good chance thats what it would of had too as all the ones either side of my pre EB are natural,maple,white pg. If an epoxy preamp came knocking for the right money one day and another pg to put one back on both basses that [i]could be [/i]an expensive bass in the future. Interesting......

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1176215' date='Mar 25 2011, 05:35 PM']I have had a closer look at both of the Stingrays and two points to note IMO the black 79' has its original mutes and springs missing not just the foam pads so that would put me off for that sort of money, The new ones would fit but are not the same size diameter so for the super fussy you are going to be looking for hens teeth originals forever![/quote]

Hey Pete, apologies for the hijack, but can you fit EBMM aftermarket string mutes to the newer bridges on 'rays (2010 model)? If so, I'm going to be a very happy bunny!

[quote name='Beedster' post='1176222' date='Mar 25 2011, 05:42 PM']Hey Pete, apologies for the hijack, but can you fit EBMM aftermarket string mutes to the newer bridges on 'rays (2010 model)? If so, I'm going to be a very happy bunny![/quote]
Yes I think so mate if anything the ones they sell now are modern ones that were not available until the Classics came out, Double check it and order them from Mark at BassDirect for £25 all in. AFAIK the only difference from 76 to the present day is the pre EB's have a much larger diameter thumb turn but the thread is the same or close enough to fit (I guess USA are still using all imperial size threads?)

Unless you mean some form of attachment to a none muted bridge? Then Im affraid not :)

Message sent for some extra photos of the 76' :) The only bugbear I can see long term and none reversible is the jack socket that I presume has been drilled in although a good repair guy (Bernie of GB maybe) should be able to lose that forever with the black finish being in that area. On a natural body it would be a begger. Lets see how it goes Im gassing for pre EB number two! (Its the peoples fault that keep sending me pm's to look at them for my opinions :), Only joking keep them coming I like it really)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1176234' date='Mar 25 2011, 05:50 PM']Unless you mean some form of attachment to a none muted bridge? Then Im affraid not :)[/quote]

Thanks Pete, yep, that's what I meant unfortunately, although I thought it a long shot. The grey foam I'm using at present is a little at odds with the sparkling new black/black/ebony finish :)

Cheers

[quote name='MattM' post='1175652' date='Mar 25 2011, 09:56 AM']Even better value when you check this out:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRE-ERNIE-BALL-MUSICMAN-STINGRAY-BLACK-1979-/180644289011?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a0f3d19f3"]Pre EB Black 'Ray[/url]

Wee bitty on the rich side for my tastes, and if you're gonna go pre-EB, has to be a natural ash/maple really.[/quote]

Lovely looker though, and the pre-EB's are so good, in a quite different beasts to the modern incarnation kinda way :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1176331' date='Mar 25 2011, 06:38 PM']Thanks Pete, yep, that's what I meant unfortunately, although I thought it a long shot. The grey foam I'm using at present is a little at odds with the sparkling new black/black/ebony finish :)

Cheers[/quote]
If I come across a bridge anytime I will send you a pm :) must be one out there somewhere.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1176333' date='Mar 25 2011, 06:40 PM']Lovely looker though, and the pre-EB's are so good, in a quite different beasts to the modern incarnation kinda way :)[/quote]
Yes it is nice, I actually wanted a black pre EB then when I found my natural one it was just too good to miss out on condition wise, Since then I have found natural to look more right for pre EB's, Black and RW for 90's Rays and any colour for 5's for me. Although my teal is very nice and the neck has aged to a mellow colour now.

The only problems with that black 79 is the mute kit missing and for that money I would want at least a period case or better still an MM teardrop one.