Why become a member? ×

Roadworn P. Worth getting a pro fret job for £40?

cameltoe

I played a custom shop '57 P recently, and although it felt similar to my roadworn, the thing that stood out for me was the fret work. The frets had been leveled lower and smoother than on my P, felt a bit better to play because of this, and given that I like the broken in feel is it something I should consider? I've never had anything like this done before purely cos I've not needed to, but I also love a low action, so I'm hoping I might be able to get something close to the CS set up with a decent fret job.

Any thoughts?

The two most comfortable basses I`ve ever played were a Road Worn Precision, and a Pino Palladino CS Precision. In view of this, and seeing how they weren`t that far apart, having a pro fret job should improve your RW to the near the same feel as the CS, and for £40, well it would be money well spent in my opinion.

Decent fret job would be the perfect touch to add to the lighter tuners you installed.

If you end up keeping the bass, you'll need the frets refinished at some point anyway. Why not have the fun now instead of later ?
Could turn a really good bass into a really great bass :)

Best of luck whatever you do

T

Sounds like a plan to me - that's assuming you feel the RW needs the fretwork. What about messing with the action, relief and intonation first ?

If still not happy after that then do it.

What about after that ? - pickups, pick-up cover, pots, wiring......