Why become a member? ×

NOW SOLD please remove!!!

chriscassar

Hi all,

I'm a newbie on here so if I've done wrong please let me know and I'll set it straight asap!

I'm selling my trusty 1987 Jaydee Supernatural MK II. It's all original apart from the pickup selector which had to be replaced when I bought it a couple of years ago, the part was sourced from Jaydee and is what is fitted in the current models. It is for this reason that the knob is different. I still have (and will supply) the original knob, the one fitted is all the only thing I could find that would fit the post on the pot. The electrics are in full working order and this bass sounds just how a Jaydee should! The instrument is in good general condition for it's age, there are a few little knocks and small scratches on the sides and headstock and a couple of marks on the back. I will also supply a fitted Hiscox hard case and a few spare pots. I can arrange insured shipping by courier to anywhere in the UK-price will vary depending on destination, if you want to see it "in the flesh" please get in touch. I'm based in Maidstone in Kent.

The pics below aren't great but they give you the idea! I will post some more soon and will happily email anyone some hi-res images to anyone if you wanted.

This is a very reluctant sale and having played quite a few Jaydees, this is certainly one of the best I've come across, but I'm now playing a lot more upright and am after an EUB so something had to go to fund the new purchase!

I know these basses go for anything from £900 up to about £1500 so I'm asking £1200 but I'm open to sensible offers also looking to swap/trade for a Yamaha SLB 100 or SLB 200 or something of a similar spec.

Edited by chriscassar

Thanks for your comment. I wasn't sure what it exactly it was when I bought it so emailed John Diggins with pics & serial number. He provided me with the age and model details. I know there have been instruments made later with earlier body shapes & all that kinda thing, guess that's what you get with quirky custom build instruments like these :-)

[quote name='MB1' post='1176210' date='Mar 25 2011, 01:30 PM']MB1. :)
Looks Pearl White? Very Nice!
BUMP![/quote]

Nah, that's pearlescent green, probably the rarer of the five standard pearl colors.

Edited by GeeCee

[quote name='GeeCee' post='1176571' date='Mar 25 2011, 09:17 PM']Nah, that's pearlescent green, probably the rarer of the four standard pearl colors.[/quote]

Yeah you're right it's the Pearlescent green. It's quite pale so difficult to capture properly. Will do some in natural light when I get a chance!!

[quote name='chriscassar' post='1176203' date='Mar 25 2011, 01:23 PM']Thanks for your comment. I wasn't sure what it exactly it was when I bought it so emailed John Diggins with pics & serial number. He provided me with the age and model details. I know there have been instruments made later with earlier body shapes & all that kinda thing, guess that's what you get with quirky custom build instruments like these :-)[/quote]

You know, I'm pretty sure that John is wrong on this one (and have a bump on me).

[quote name='voxpop' post='1177412' date='Mar 26 2011, 05:01 PM']Can someone tell me what a Jaydee sounds like.

Thanks[/quote]

Despite what some might say I've always found Jaydees to be fairly versatile. They of course do the whole Mark King sound which is a bit different to J&P basses & all your usual suspects anyway (whether you want that or not?!), you'll also get a convincing Alembic/Stanley Clake sound as well. Play around with the EQ & use the neck PU & you can get a reasonable P bass growl, click on to the bridge PU & it gives you more nasal honk than you'll ever need & a great bright punchy tone that'll cut through most band situations nicely- particularly good for lead stuff, very Jaco-esque.

Would suggest listening to any Level 42 stuff to give you an idea of that classic Jaydee sound, have a look on YouTube & you'll probably find done people demoing them. If you're particularly interested & want to hear mine I'll record some clips & email them or something!

Hope that helps a bit, gimme a shout if you want to know more or want sound clips :-)

Chris

[quote name='GeeCee' post='1176571' date='Mar 25 2011, 10:17 PM']Nah, that's pearlescent green, probably the rarer of the five standard pearl colors.[/quote]

MB1. :)
DOH!
...Should have gone to specsavers!
BUMP!

[quote name='All thumbs' post='1178605' date='Mar 27 2011, 07:10 PM']Would you consider a trade of some kind for a Warwick Streamer LX 4?[/quote]

Hi,

Thanks for the offer...that's a lovely bass, always been a fan of Warwicks. Ideally I want cash for it unless someone's got a nice EUB to trade as that's what I'm shopping around for next!

Thanks again though, good luck with selling it although I doubt it'll hang around long!

Cheers,

Chris

[quote name='chriscassar' post='1178805' date='Mar 27 2011, 09:27 PM']Hi,

Thanks for the offer...that's a lovely bass, always been a fan of Warwicks. Ideally I want cash for it unless someone's got a nice EUB to trade as that's what I'm shopping around for next!

Thanks again though, good luck with selling it although I doubt it'll hang around long!

Cheers,

Chris[/quote]
Now worries - cheers Chris!

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1181971' date='Mar 30 2011, 10:58 AM']Bit like buses - don't see one for ages and then two come along together - fine bass - had much interest other than "nice bass...don't see these very often.."?[/quote]
Ain't that the truth! When I was looking for one of these a few years ago I couldn't find one anywhere then the day I bought this one I had a call from a dealer saying he'd tracked another one down! Always the way!!
Have had some nice offers of trades but I'm after an EUB so need the cash-which seems to be short in supply for a lot of people at the moment! Would rather not sell this but hey, needs must & all that!!

Chris

Chris, quite possibly you are crazy...! This is too nice to sell!!
I sold 4 basses recently but I still have 12 instruments left; couldn't part with them as they all got their thing...

I reckon you should keep, and be patient for an EUB. What make you looking for (those Steinbergers have too many dots!!)? I use an old Aria, and it's not bad. That said, nothing beats the creaky old sound of an acoustic.

Irrespective - viewing types; Chris is a top bloke to deal with so you can buy without worry.

[quote name='steverickwood' post='1182955' date='Mar 31 2011, 07:40 AM']Chris, quite possibly you are crazy...! This is too nice to sell!!
I sold 4 basses recently but I still have 12 instruments left; couldn't part with them as they all got their thing...

I reckon you should keep, and be patient for an EUB. What make you looking for (those Steinbergers have too many dots!!)? I use an old Aria, and it's not bad. That said, nothing beats the creaky old sound of an acoustic.

Irrespective - viewing types; Chris is a top bloke to deal with so you can buy without worry.[/quote]
Hey Steve thanks for your post. Yeah I'm starting to think I might not let it go for now. I'm after a one of the Yamaha silent basses, have looked at the NS CRs too but would prefer a Yammy. Would always rather use an acoustic upright but for some of the gigs I'm doing this year, i could do with something ultra portable.

Hmmm... I'll see what happens!!